Magnet Stock for Indigo

jinthebay

Hey Folks,

Just got word that we need to try a 12pt magnet stock on our Indigo 3500. Haven't seen the stock yet.

Anyone have any experience with this? Sounds a bit counterintuiative, with all the charged components and such, no?

Hope I don't wind up frying my press!

I get magnets printed all the time on a 3050. One brand is from GPA, another from Magnacote. I hear that you can't print magnets on the HP5000.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Thanks Pickle

I see what you mean. Ran some MAGNETIZED stock thru and it jams at the stacker.
Must be that nanosecond where it sits above the fans and decides to stick to all the metal plates in that area.

I'll have to look closer at those links you provided and see if this something we plan on running a lot of.
(Running one sheet at a time, then clearing the jam, and then having to get ready again is murder!)

Thanks again.

We tried multiple times running magnakote our 3050 and one time it trashed the machine so bad it took the tech 3 days to get it running again. The other problem with magnakote is the magnet is so week it can barely hold its own weight up. The better option would be to print on an 80 lb gloss cover and have a company like US Magnets make the magnets for you. Seems to me the GPA stock magnets are week as well.

We tried multiple times running magnakote our 3050 and one time it trashed the machine so bad it took the tech 3 days to get it running again. The other problem with magnakote is the magnet is so week it can barely hold its own weight up. The better option would be to print on an 80 lb gloss cover and have a company like US Magnets make the magnets for you. Seems to me the GPA stock magnets are week as well.

Hey RGP. I tried the magnakote on our 3500 and it ran fine, EXCEPT the jamming at the stacker. Forces me to get ready after each jam (each piece). But I didn't see any real damage done. What kind of trashing occured? Blanket? PIP?

Just wanna know so I can warn the powers that be.

We here at SGP use an indigo 2000. A bit different, but we do print on magnets all the time. We never even try to use magnetized stock. Only non magnetized from Flexmag (740-374-8024), then magnetize it afterward. Works great.

I will have to speak with our main indigo guy about the damage that was done. Try exiting to the proof tray if you can on your indigo instead of going into the main delivery. We now have a 5500 and we can exit jobs using heavy stock to the proof tray.

O.K. I've now tied two separate magnetized stocks at different thicknesses, with no trouble at all. I only had to bypass all of the jam sensors: (Exit conveyor Jam, Perfector 1 & 2 Jams, Duplex conveyor jams and input feed jams. Either printing to the proof tray or the stacker, didn't jam once.

Maybe I should find some wood to knock on!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back