Mavericks Compatibility

prepressdork

I am looking to purchase new Mac's but am concerned with compatibility between Mavericks and older Adobe apps. After Googling and seeing mostly positive results, I thought I would ask you all about your experiences.

Is anyone running any Creative SUITE versions with Mavericks? If so, issues?

Thanks,
pd

I am looking to purchase new Mac's but am concerned with compatibility between Mavericks and older Adobe apps. After Googling and seeing mostly positive results, I thought I would ask you all about your experiences.

Thanks,
pd

CS 3 PhotoShop is not stable - tends to quit without warning. Rebuilding preferences helps for a while. I don't use the other apps enough to comment.

You should be able downgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8) or Lion (10.7) fairly easily if this is a major concern holding you back from buying. You'll need a USB stick (8GB or more), a Mac already running Mountain Lion (10.8) or Lion (10.7) and this utility from Apple. Open the utility and use it to create the bootable USB stick. Boot the new mac from this USB drive, format the hard drive via disk utility and install the legacy OS.

I've used this on a Macbook Pro that came factory loaded with Mavericks (10.9) and had no issues. Apple won't help you do it.

I am fairly certain that the macs have a limit on how far back you can go with the OS. I new mac would probably run 10.8 just fine, but anything older is iffy.

I have CS5 through CC 2014 on my Mavericks Mac, all run fine. Be aware that if you are currently running Mac OS 10.6.8 or older and upgrading you may have PowerPC apps that will no longer work.

Latest CS6 installed three weeks ago on latest iMac 27 3.5 GHz running latest mavericks. No problems found so far.

Thanks,
pd

I just ordered a new iMac with Mavericks, and the Apple salesman said I'd need CS5.5 or 6 with it. When I asked about InDesign CS3, he said it doesn't look like that works with Mavericks. Another salesman (different call) also said CS6 works with Mavericks.

remember that machines running CC2014 will have incompatible file formats with CS6: cc2014 can open and edit no problem, but the older versions won't open the newer files.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back