MiraFoil

billyinlasvegas

Is anyone successfully using MiraFoil?

I've sent out a few projects to different shops across the country and my results are never really satisfying.

Instead of a true foil look, we always get something that resembles a metallic ink.

Are my expectations too high or is the name of the product just misleading?

As far as I know, Mirafoil from Henkel is the brightest most brilliant metallic coating out there right now. We have tested it pretty extensively and have had varying success in different applications. It is definitely not a replacement for metalized board. It is however a viable replacement for foil stamping in some applications. It still isn't quite as brilliant or reflective.

It is different from most metallic inks in that it uses flat aluminum platelets instead of tiny pieces of metal. I don't think the product is misleading, but your expectations might be a little high. If I were you, I'd request printed samples from Henkel. I'd expect what they would provide you would be the best quality you can expect to see out of the product.

I think your expectations are too high. Mirafoil 'sheen' will depend greatly on the Anilox used and the substrate being printed. We expected it to be much more brilliant than plain old 877 Silver but alas it was not so. It works fine for the small areas that need a better metalic look but never comes close to foil coated board. We spent more time on the Recycle aspect compared to foil as a selling point for Mirafoil. We did try putting down a Prima coat prior to the Mirafoil so that the coating wasn't being absorbed as much into the board with better results.
Good Luck

Billy - get in touch with me. I work for Classic Color in Broadview, IL and we print all of Henkel's coating sell sheets. We have worked extensively with MiraFoil and will get you the best product possible. I'd also like to add that we've seen samples from other printers that say they're using MiraFoil, but they use an 877 silver instead. I've seen press sheets with the "MiraFoil" in the color bars on the sheet which tells us that it is in fact a silver ink and not a coating.

Tony Drummond
630-248-5414 - Cell

We've tested with it and have had positive results. Henkel told us tell you that you need to use their UV coating to retain its metal appeal. Ink adhesion is not an issue for us. Printing on hot-stamped printable foils is a nightmare with ink adhesion and cracking. The Mirafoil is a nice gap solution for spot foil to be overprinted with inks.

Billy you should contact Ryan Weiss at Henkel to find a printer that might more fully satisfy your needs.

As Chevalier points out - Ryan Weiss would definitely help you find the right printer for the job. He travels all around North America and South America running trials of the MiraFoil product on a wide array of equipment. I can give you his contact information if you send me a private message because I don't want to post it publicly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back