Miss the old PrepressForums

jetzerm

I miss the prepressforums.com. This site just isn't as featured, nor does it seem to have as much traffic and prepressforums.com.

Re: Miss the old PrepressForums

> {quote:title=jetzerm wrote:}{quote}
> I miss the prepressforums.com. This site just isn't as featured, nor does it seem to have as much traffic and prepressforums.com.

As a researcher I am interested in what features you find missing. Being specific about the missing features will help the back office staff.

Transitioning to a new platform never happens overnight. Same goes for adding features to the new services.

The email notices have been much improved since the first weeks. I appreciate being able to edit posted messages and draft copies being available if you hit the wrong key when you are posting.

A better place for this conversation may be the Lounge area since it is not a prepress issue.

Uncle Dave

Edited by: Dave Mainwaring on Sep 14, 2007 8:47 AM

whats missing are the old posts, they need to be merged into this forum or the whole exercise was a waste of time.

The problem with importing the posts is that we didn't import users. Without the users the posts would have no ownership

Dave Mainwaring wrote:
"As a researcher I am interested in what features you find missing. Being specific about the missing features will help the back office staff."

I am sure that PrintPlanet put a lot of effort and research into coming up with the "look and feel" of the website, but IMO it is not very friendly. I don't necessarily mean "user friendly", because I can move around and find things. But, it is not "people" friendly. It does not encourage or invite people to explore and move around the site. The old pressforums.com was a much better layout, again in my opinion. The reality of it is, people will use the site if it (a) useful and informative and (b) fun and friendly. IMO this site is not. Opinions and free speech are not allowed to run as free on PrintPlanet as they do/did on those other two sites. This discourages people from participating on the forums. Specifically... the design is too corporate. If different skins were available that would allow people to customize the look, that would help. If the use of moving avatars was allowed, that would appeal to people. If a "most recent posts" areas was near the top, that would be nicer. To sum up the choice of software... it is just not friendly, and the site seems to be too rigid in how it wants people to participate. Users like to feel that it is "their" site. Right now, PrintPlanet does not feel like that. I make these comments with the sincere hope that they will be accepted as constructive criticism. Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet.

Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
Removed Spam

i agree with most of what 30 years has to say, some of those features need to be worked in. as far as the look of the page, i kind of like this look, it just needs the features. with features will come more users. there are some very useful threads on this site, but it is a shame that all the years of useful links couldnt just merge over. i still have PPF linked, and i search it occasionally. it is going to take a while to build up all of the info of PPF into this site.

i am of the opinion that there is plenty of room for 2 or 3 or more prepress sites. there are plenty of people in the prepress world to populate lots of sites. i am constantly trying to get colleauges onto these sites, but some people just dont want to. i think they are missing the boat. all of this info at our fingertips...

i feel positive about this place, met some new people, and gotten some good help, and exchanged ideas. is PP as busy as the old PPF? no, but reports of it being dead, IMO, are exagerrated.

cr

I know the thread is about those of you that miss the old prepress forums, but you know what? I miss the old PrintPlanet forums. Not to take away what you all are feeling, but I've felt the same about the old PrintPlanet. So hopefully we can all come together and enjoy still being able to share info and talk with peers. I myself am (finally?) getting used to the new format. And I'm looking to join more "prepress" forums too. Good day to you all.

Don

> {quote:title=disbellj wrote:}{quote}
> I know the thread is about those of you that miss the old prepress forums, but you know what? I miss the old PrintPlanet forums. Not to take away what you all are feeling, but I've felt the same about the old PrintPlanet. So hopefully we can all come together and enjoy still being able to share info and talk with peers. I myself am (finally?) getting used to the new format. And I'm looking to join more "prepress" forums too. Good day to you all.
>
> Don

well stated.

> {quote:title=30YearsandCounting wrote:}Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet.
>
> Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
> Removed Spam

Why would we want to support a site where a lot of the content is about how bad PrintPlanet is and we are referred to as the "Dark Side". Think about it.

Any content that has been removed has been removed because it was attacking another user or spam. Is that you definition of censorship?

In all fairness, that was an initial response when the split occurred, true. Now that "Other Forum" has moved on to be more like the atmosphere that the old PPF had going. Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly? Foster a sense of community instead of two separate factions & everybody wins. In theory.

30YearsandCounting wrote:
"Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet."

Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
Removed Spam
-----------------------------

I am quite sad to see that PrintPlanet did not see the value in keeping my entire posting intact. All my comments were made in a professional and positive manner with the intent to help improve this forum. The reference that I made to another prepress site was deleted and has been called "spam".
The most definitive definition of spam IMO would be:
"unwanted e-mail (usually of a commercial nature sent out in bulk)".

The site that I referenced is not a commercial site, it is a site that encourages open discussion among members of the prepress community. There are also several other similar sites that I am aware of. I fail to understand how PrintPlanet can interpret this example as "spam". If this "violation" is included in the Terms and Conditions of this website, then I would suggest that you reconsider this obvious abuse of free speech. The ability to freely express ones opinion, in a professional manner, should not be censored. Uncle Dave asked for peoples opinions on what could be done to improve this site. I responded in a polite, positive and articulate manner, with just a few of the many things that I would recommend. To feel the need to censor my comments does nothing but suggest that PrintPlanet does not intend this site to be an open forum for discussion. I humbly suggest that this is something that needs to be re-examined if the "new" PrintPlanet is ever to succeed.

> {quote:title=SlaveToTheMan wrote:}{quote}
> In all fairness, that was an initial response when the split occurred, true. Now that "Other Forum" has moved on to be more like the atmosphere that the old PPF had going. Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly? Foster a sense of community instead of two separate factions & everybody wins. In theory.
one thing i haven't read on either site was that you had to choose one or the other...

cr

> {quote:title=SlaveToTheMan wrote:}{quote}
> Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly?

nothing at all!

> {quote:title=30YearsandCounting wrote:}{quote}

> Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
> Removed Spam

I think I've said this before, but it popped into my head so I'll say it again.

On the board I'm an admin we've laid done the rule that mods and admins are not to edit posts that users make with the exception of swearing. Threads or posts are deleted in their entirety and the offending user(s) are PM'd about why. editing a thread for any reason, even as innocent as spam, leaves it open for the user to accuse the administration of changing what they have said in the post. Unfortunately there's no way to show proof and it becomes one persons word against another's. For swearing we simply change the curse words to something more universally appropriate, and usually remove the line that says the post was edited.

As for missing the old PPF. Nothing I can do about that. It's like losing your dog. Deal and move on.

I to still am not in love with the layout/format/software of the new printplanet. It's what the powers at be have chosen so I'll deal if I want to participate I guess.

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

There's room for both. It's like the "other" is the frat house and PP is the "dean's office". Where do you feel more comfortable?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

Beware. Start rant.

I haven't read that much on the other site, so I guess I haven't seen the "Dark Side" comments. All I do know is that I agree that this should be an open forum that is a way to communicate freely. While on the old PrintPlanet, I had at least two or three times that someone called my boss and told him something that made him mad at me (although in one instance I stated the truth about my opinion of a company's support and the tuth about problems in their products and they didn't like it, called my boss and said I was "bashing" them, and another time I stated my position as to maybe why more people aren't getting into prepress and said something about pay, and although I didn't mention my company name or any person's name, I was somewhat called to the mat for it - although not directly). If it goes that way here, I'm outta here. Any crybaby companies or their personnel that can't handle the truth being shared publicly shouldn't treat people as they do and/or release crap software. I have and will continue to tell the truth no matter who it offends. If the truth is not welcome, then I'm not welcome. May free speech rule and may those that can't handle it get over it or take more pride in the way you treat your customers (internal and external) and/or build your software so that negative comments aren't necessary. I hate being stifled or tried to be shut up from those whose toes I have stepped on, and have at times been glad that the rat(s) haven't been present with me because I would have like to beat their you-know-what into the ground. If we can't share freely without fear of recourse by someone else on the forum that is too much of a wimp to come to the poster directly with their concerns, and instead tries to shut the person up by other means such as going to their boss, then what are we doing here?

End rant.

Don

Cory wrote:
"Any content that has been removed has been removed because it was attacking another user or spam. Is that you definition of censorship?"

Cory, nothing I wrote fits any definition of the word "spam". You also know as well as I do that nothing I wrote attacked or condemned anyone. I am offended that you would make such a suggestion. My comments were polite, professional and made in response to a moderator's request for suggestions on ways to improve this site. You can disagree with me, but don't edit my posting and then accuse me of attacking anyone. You are not allowing me the right to defend myself in this argument. And that sir... is wrong.

This type of censorship casts a shadow on the ability of PrintPlanet to be any sort of a valued resource for the prepress community. How can we believe anything that is posted, when we don't know what the author really said?

I'm quite sad to see those from the old PPF continue to try thinly veiled attempts to get our members to join their forum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with another forum starting for the community of people who don't find this site fitting their needs. Nothing at all. Maybe old PP members will soon set up an email list. If that suits them better, no worries. We tried (and continue to try) to marry a web forum with an email forum. We're not all the way there yet, but those who jumped ship probably never wanted to be on it in the first place - and that's fine too.

We just don't want to allow what appears to be a site in direct competition to ours to continue to advertise on ours. Quite simple concept really. Wendy's doesn't hand out McDonald's coupons in the interest of freedom of burger choice. Of course there is that freedom. The marketplace of ideas is indeed open.

In terms of your specific polite recommendations, most were vague "not friendly" references. "Opinions and free speech are not allowed to run as free on PrintPlanet"? If you mean not allowing people to call others idiots? You'd be correct. Not allowed here. Go somewhere else for that. If you mean not allowing people to link to sites that engage in trying to "swarm this site like locusts", "attack like ninjas", or otherwise encourage users to leave this site for theirs, then yes. Call us crazy for not allowing that as well. Not one bit of opinion or free speech has been disallowed on this site. Personal insults and attacks have been deleted in order to protect the broader community. Links to sites that were set up for the express purpose of drawing users away from this site instead of help improve it were also deleted and will continue to be.

Your feature requests look suspiciously like a list designed to favor a certain platform that a new site exists on over this one. You wanted:

- User selected skins: Seems like a nice to have, but doesn't add much to discussion. We have no plans to add such a feature.

- Moving avatars: Seems like fun, might be distracting.

- Most recent posts at top: Definitely and there are multiple threads talking about how this is on a to-do list. We are also working on a way to globally look at unanswered questions, which from a forum standpoint would be very valuable.

- Choice of software "not friendly": I have no idea what this means.

- Too rigid: Again, no clue what this means. Other than not wanting people to compete with us directly on our board or call other community members idiots, I have no idea what you might mean.

Given the way you ended your reply, it is pretty clear this was an attempt to post a link to a competing forum. You even tee up a censorship argument to be used later.

It seems like this is another mountain that started as a mole hill.
(whatever you do, don't mention the quark forums - can I say p0rn here?)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back