Mitsubishi SDP-Eco163IIIR Platesetter

wavedaveprint

Hi,

First time post here. Does anyone have any experience with the Mitsubishi SDP-Eco163IIIR Platesetter? We're a small shop with mostly digital equipment (Ricoh's, Oki C931e for envelope printing). But we also have a Heidelberg GTO 52-2 (Year: 1999) and still processing plates the old school way (very time consuming). So, we are looking into the SDP.

Any insight, experience, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

I have one, works great, very few problems. WAY better than trying to do those laser plates, especially if you need good looking screens or longer runs.

Hi,

First time post here. Does anyone have any experience with the Mitsubishi SDP-Eco163IIIR Platesetter? We're a small shop with mostly digital equipment (Ricoh's, Oki C931e for envelope printing). But we also have a Heidelberg GTO 52-2 (Year: 1999) and still processing plates the old school way (very time consuming). So, we are looking into the SDP.

Any insight, experience, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
it is a solid good machine. not sure the max plate size is right for GTO52, please double check on that

I have one, works great, very few problems. WAY better than trying to do those laser plates, especially if you need good looking screens or longer runs.
Thanks for sharing. Good to get some positive reviews here. How is doing maintenance on it? The only other experience I have with a platesetter is a Kodak Trendsetter and maintenance on that was quite involved and time consuming. Obviously, this is a different and quite smaller machine as far as I can tell, so I imagine it's not too complicated.

Hi there. I have a follow up question about the Platesetter. How do you deal with waste? Someone mentioned to me that there may be silver in the chemicals/waste (?). Just trying to get as much information as we can. Thanks!

it is a solid good machine. not sure the max plate size is right for GTO52, please double check on that
Following up on this. How do you deal with waste? I imagine there isn't a whole lot of it since the chemistry used is minimal. One thing that came up is that there is silver in the waste (not sure where it comes from - plates vs chemicals). Any insight on that? Thank you.

Hi Dave,

I worked for Mitsubishi Paper Mills in Germany for more than 13 years before the European representation was closed. However, the SDP polyester printing plates do not contain much silver, that's right. It is much less than in the classic reprofilm. After development, part of the silver also goes into chemistry. Silver recovery companies should be interested in the waste, but you cannot get rich from it. Silver halide printing plates are an outdated technology because of the environmental impact. But they are still sold, mostly in Japan and the United States.

Hi Dave,

I worked for Mitsubishi Paper Mills in Germany for more than 13 years before the European representation was closed. However, the SDP polyester printing plates do not contain much silver, that's right. It is much less than in the classic reprofilm. After development, part of the silver also goes into chemistry. Silver recovery companies should be interested in the waste, but you cannot get rich from it. Silver halide printing plates are an outdated technology because of the environmental impact. But they are still sold, mostly in Japan and the United States.
Thank you, Martin. I appreciate the information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back