Mixing percentages

LoneGoose

Hi there,

When mixing solutions I'm always confused when instructions tell one to mix up to a certain percentage. I have coped so far, but for the sake of being pedantic...

Example problem: The label on a drum of roller wash reads "mix with up to 25% water." Isn't this very ambiguous? Is that 25% of the final mix or 25% of the initial amount of solvent?

If we have 1 litre of wash in a bottle, we could add 330 ml of water so that water constitutes 25% of the volume of the mixed solution or we could add 250 ml of water which is 25% of the volume of solvent.

The same ambiguity seems to exist in the instructions from some fountain solutions: "Addition: 2-3%" or "dose at 2-4%."

What is the convention here?

I find the instruction "Use at 2-3% dilution" much less ambiguous - this seems to indicate that the solute should constitute 3% of the final solution.

Am I being a real dunce or is there a rule-of-thumb I'm missing?

Thanks!

PS Quoting proportions has to be the most clear - 2:1, 4:1, 1:100 - but you never see those!

Last edited:
Solving your Problem

Solving your Problem

Hello Lonegoose,

This PDF wil be of help.

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Solving Problems # 1041.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
  • Solving Problems # 2042.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
  • Solving Problems # 3043.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • Solving Problems # 4044.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • Solving Problems # 5045.pdf
    984.1 KB · Views: 159

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back