Modifying page boxes/geometry

Drainers

Hi,
First of all, sorry if this has been answered previously elsewhere!

Recently we have changed our workflow to XMF, running Pitstop server 11.
We are trying to implement an action list to 'Set trim box to marks' ONLY on PDFs that have no geometry applied. Problem being that we want this action list to reside in ALL our job templates, and ONLY modifying files with no page boxes set.

I think something like this is what we are after:
If trim box = bleed box
Set Trims to Marks

I had hoped this would be simple, but I haven't got my head around the Operators (AND, NOT, OR, etc) as yet

any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Not sure that's going to help in all cases.

Setting the trim box to marks is available so I guess you have found that. Is only modifying jobs with no pages boxes going to be enough, what if the boxes are there but not correct?

BTW if you mail me ([email protected]) I will send you something from a webinar we did about Action Lists recently, it will help explain I hope, lso you can always contact our support at '[email protected]' if you have any questions. Email support comes for free when as you have purchased the software.

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree, there is no one fix for all. Applying the Setting trim box to marks is a starting point, IF we could get it to ignore jobs with page boxes already defined.
We are wanting to implement this for when clients view their proofs online, so that they are not viewing an area which is outside of the trim area, and subsequently trimmed off.

Currently we are using the action list on a job by job basis - Page boxes set? Proceed without modifying the file. Page Boxes not defined? implement the action list. If this can be done without human interaction on every job, then it would make senior management much happier as we are tying everything together with JDFs, SWITCH, etc

Thanks again

You can certainly do it automatically. If you have Switch as well as XMF you have an abundance of riches.
PitStop Server can be configured to use job data from an MIS as JDF, or talk to the MIS database directly through Switch and read/write information.
You can then use the actual MIS data to drive your preflight checks and fixes making them based on the actual job instructions rather than a generic 'one size fits all' preflight check.

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree, there is no one fix for all. Applying the Setting trim box to marks is a starting point, IF we could get it to ignore jobs with page boxes already defined.
We are wanting to implement this for when clients view their proofs online, so that they are not viewing an area which is outside of the trim area, and subsequently trimmed off.

Currently we are using the action list on a job by job basis - Page boxes set? Proceed without modifying the file. Page Boxes not defined? implement the action list. If this can be done without human interaction on every job, then it would make senior management much happier as we are tying everything together with JDFs, SWITCH, etc

Thanks again

in your action list before you run the action "set trim box to marks" you will want to remove the trim/bleed/art boxes. Then you can define the trim box, then define the bleed box based on the value of the trim box, then remove the art box, then set the crop box to the media box. Don't forget to set the 0,0 point of the media box.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back