My KM C8000 Prints Scrolls

My KM C8000 Prints Scrolls or puts a very nice curl in the paper. We have the humidifier and digital paper. This creates a lot of hand de curling in bindery. Tried stacking heavy weight overnight , It didn't really help.

I feel you, I have the same problem and no real solution in sight from KM.

One thing I have noticed is that the decurler in better on one side then the other …

Try and flip your job wen sending it to print (face down, normal print order)

We have this issue as well. Service came in and they adjusted the decurlers to ease up on this. It seems to be working better for us. It's not perfect but alot better than we had. We also run simplex jobs to the stacker face down which helps. We run mainly heavier stock (300gsm).

Don't know if this is an option for you, when we have encountered this problem before one fix was to run the sheets through a folder with the fold plates all set to bypass. Curl up or curl down you'll need to see which works best with your folder.

I supprized that this is not a major issue that is voiced by KM 8000 users. The curling adds a lot of extra bindery . You never really get it flat either.

Paper curl comes from high moisture content in the paper, not a problem we have in the prairies. Try changing the curl function or outside fusing temperature in the paper settings. If that doesn't improve it try a different stock and see if you get different results.

That's what I am saying we have low humidity (10%)and don't see this problem. What is the name brand of the stock?

Paper curls due mainly to a sudden lost of moisture within after passing through fusing. The faster and more it loses, the worse it curls. From where I am, which is a country with humidity level hovering between 65%-85%, curling is a common sight.

2 solutions: 1) Fix a low heat heater in the paper tray. Purpose is to mitigate the high speed lost of moisture.
2) Adjust the fusing temperature to suit various stocks.

We don't have any curl problems with any of our Konicas (we have the 6501 and 8000 models).

As long as you are following the basics, i.e. keep good environmental control in the room the machines are in and always condition the paper for at least 24 hours before use, then I suspect your decurler isn't working properly and you need to get KM in to fix it.

Of course, paper with a low moisture content is best, but you state that you are using a digital specific paper. It might be worth using a different brand from a different paper merchant though, just so that you can eliminate that as a possibility.

You can switch the grain and I know that we had to do that with older digital machines, but the newer generations shouldn't need that. We switch grain direction based on the size and type of the product we're making and short grain doesn't exhibit any problems with curl (as long as the operator doesn't forget to set the decurler right for that job!). However, you might want to try long grain if you are really struggling.

Ripple is a different kettle of fish entirely and one that I haven't seen any 100% solution to.

We're shutting down the factory for the Christmas break in (counting down...) 2 hours, otherwise I'd post a picture of a couple of pallets of (flat) KM print that the print room normally has ready for the finishers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back