Mythbusting! (A bit of fun)

We had a customer come in one day and told us that her last printer told her that the business cards she ordered on a heavier card stock than was delivered was made thinner by running them through the press . . . . we guessed that there was just tooooooo much impression . . .

Prepress: The image will not print well, it is 72 dpi placed at 150%
Customer Service Rep: Res it up in Photoshop
Prepress: That won't increase the resolution, it will just add more pixels.
Customer Service Rep: Just do it, it's worked before.

"Oh just use this paper to print the covers on", she says as she hands me several sheets of black card!

If it looks good printing it on my 300 DPI printer from my $20 "Desktop Publishing" software it should look the same on the platesetter output.

Tell the new guy to place his hand over the red ink and to see if it is warm yet, then push his hand in. Then tell him to ask the old crotchety pressman when he keep the bucket of halftone dots.

"I'm so good at using Micro$oft Word and Publisher, learning InDesign won't be a problem."

Skip to a week later.

"What do you mean I need the images and fonts? Micro$soft doesn't do that!!"

Prepress: The image will not print well, it is 72 dpi placed at 150%
Customer Service Rep: Res it up in Photoshop
Prepress: That won't increase the resolution, it will just add more pixels.
Customer Service Rep: Just do it, it's worked before.

Me: Customer sent in a 4x6" file that they want to be 5x5", can you stretch the file to fit. It's just text and I know this customer, they are not concerned if we mess with their brilliantly designed word file.
Prepress: But it isn't going to be proportional, you are going to stretch the text.
Me: Yes I know, it will be ok for this customer.
Prepress: But the proportions.
Me: Just do it.
Prepress: but...but... the proportions.

Pressman is starting a job for a press check. After about 10 sheets off the press, the paper jams and the pressman goes to address the problem. As the salesman and the customer show up early, they walk over to the press and look at the first 10 sheets. The customer right away noticing that the color does not match theproof.
Salesman, without batting an eye, explains that the proof is made using a flat process. But on the press, the cylinder is round, so there is going to be some color variation.

Not quite related to printing, but when I worked at a newspaper, more than once I came across people from out of state who believed that their newspapers got to them so late because we didn't mail them with the rest. We just kept them until we got the mailbag full, then sent them on to the post office.

Me: Customer sent in a 4x6" file that they want to be 5x5", can you stretch the file to fit. It's just text and I know this customer, they are not concerned if we mess with their brilliantly designed word file.
Prepress: But it isn't going to be proportional, you are going to stretch the text.
Me: Yes I know, it will be ok for this customer.
Prepress: But the proportions.
Me: Just do it.
Prepress: but...but... the proportions.

This x1,000.

Not quite related to printing, but when I worked at a newspaper, more than once I came across people from out of state who believed that their newspapers got to them so late because we didn't mail them with the rest. We just kept them until we got the mailbag full, then sent them on to the post office.

I thought it was because the mailroom crew was snipping out the coupons.

A repro guy I used to work with told me the reason the Yellow screen angle is 90deg in the UK is to do with the Northern Lights affecting the way we see yellow! I told him I thought he was winding me up but he always insisted it was true. When I travelled to the Southern Hemisphere I made a point of checking out the Yellow screen angle when I worked at a printers and it still seemed to be 90deg so I have never been sure if he was winding me up or not.

The repo guy is correct. In the northern hemisphere the yellow angle is 90 degrees. In the Southern Hemisphere the yellow angle is at 0 degrees instead.

Best gordo

I thought the yellow angle was equal to your latitude? 0 degrees at the equator, 90 at the poles. 51 degrees in London.

How do you tell the difference?

Al

Simple, they explained it to me this way: they use Elliptical dots in Australia so here are what the two angles look like:

Elliptical_zps154f98c6.jpg

90° (Northern Hemisphere) on the left and 0° (Southern Hemisphere) on the right.

If you've ever worked in Australia you'll know what I mean.

best, gordo

Last edited:
I see.

But why use elliptical dots? I think I remember something about smoother transitions for those. I was thinking of round dots when I posted the question.

Al

I see.

But why use elliptical dots? I think I remember something about smoother transitions for those. I was thinking of round dots when I posted the question.

Al

OK, I can't let this continue....when it comes to halftone screening, 90° and 0° (as well as 180° and 270°) are all the same angle.

I was trying to be humorous given the nature and context of the thread.

Apologies if anyone misunderstood my intent.

best, gordo

BTW, Round dots provide better tone transitions than elliptical. But that's a different conversation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back