Navigator looks like window 98

Mark

Looking to (finally) replace the Brisque. I had demo of Xitron Navigator and it looked like it hasn't been touched since the 90's. Does it work well or is it just around because it's cheap?

You're right. The Harlequin RIP interface seems relatively unchanged since the 90's. I'm a happy user. It's simple enough and works great driving a Screen platesetter.

I don't know how I feel about Xitron anymore...there's the RTI option as well.

You can see in this forum that I created a topic of RTI vs Xitron, but no one ever responded, lol.

HI, I'm another happy user of Navigator (on a pT_R8600).
What can I say… well, the interface is very poor but the real power is under the cover. I mean, i come from an APOGEE prepress 6x and I must admit that Navigator is more fast and reliable while ripping also complicated jobs (a lot of transparencies that Graphic Designer put everywhere).
It may seem a little tricky at the beginning, but when you start to work a little with it, you'll appreciate it.
I add that Xitron is a very serious softhouse, I had a couple of issues with a specific job and in a couple of mails they helped me to find a way out to fix some problem that I couldn't fix due to a bad customer relationship.
My two cent… hope it will help.

(Ok, a better interface would make it more beautiful to look at ;) )

G:

Hi Mark,

As Shenkadere mentioned, the actual Harlequin portion has not changed in a very long time. However, if you add the Xitron workflow into the mix, the Harlequin interface simply becomes a configuration tool and you rarely have to work with it beyond setup. Plus, the workflow gives you clients that will run on Macs and PC's throughout the shop so you don't have to be tied only to the computer running the RIP. For what it's worth, the workflow interface in a re-design phase now, which will be the third since its introduction ten years ago.

To the happy users chiming in, thanks! I appreciate it. We're nearing the 35,000 RIPs sold mark.

Bret

Looking to (finally) replace the Brisque. I had demo of Xitron Navigator and it looked like it hasn't been touched since the 90's. Does it work well or is it just around because it's cheap?

HA HA HA HA PLOP

( that was me laughing my <censored> off. )

You are JUST NOW coming around to replacing your Scitex Brisque and you are complaining about an interface ? LOLOLOL

Okay - since this is pretty much a set it and forget it type moment, how pretty does it need to be ? I mean, when I set up an FTP server, it is pretty much a bunch of fields I have to fill out then there is a save button.

Okay, sorry, could not resist. Xitron connects pretty much any RIP running on "whatever" to most any output device - they are some VERY smart guys. I vouch for them. I worked for Compose, and we pointed customers to them when we could not build a cable or configure the translation between this and that.

Best of luck !

IMO the Brisque interface is much nicer looking than Navigator, and it certainly hasn't been me who has hung on to the Brisque.
As for the interface, I'd rather look out my window everyday at a beautiful landscape, than a junkyard.

Mainly I was just worried that if they can't be bothered to update the look have they done much updating to the software.

I don't normally respond here, but I think I can speak to this. I currently manage 27 seats of the Navigator Rip pushing 1-bits to a variety of output devices across North America, 14 years ago we made the decision to go with the Navigator over the company's preferred Prinergy. I needed simplicity and performance at a reasonable price with low maintenance and Xitron fit the bill. If configured properly you don't even need to turn on the monitor, if you need more flexibility with interaction to the rip, throw on the workflow. I could have spent hundred's of thousands more, but at the end of the day all I need is dots on a plate. Side note: Xitron sales and support is awesome, love working with Bret and the whole Xitron team.

Doug Ackerman
RRD - Enterprise Prepress Services - Forms, Labels and Print Centers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back