Need help with Agfa proset 9800 with star 400 rip

jamied

Hi all. I have acquired an old Agfa proset 9800 imagesetter with star 400 rip. Trying to run film to make photopolymer plates. I am from an offset background but know NOTHING about prepress.
What do I need to do now to get this thing set up to use it?? I tried downloading a driver from a number of different sites on a pc with windows 8 and had no luck. All I know is I need a computer hooked to the rip with s driver but that's the extent of my knowledge
Thanks

I think you need to set up your computer with a PPD so you can print to it. I think you need to use an application that can output separated PostScript. I think the last time I answered a question like this was in 1994.

Agfa ProSet Series

You might need to have a windows computer running XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KbView/293360

You might consider getting rid of that Star RIP and contacting Compose or Xinet

Xitron Harlequin RIP and Adobe PDF Print Engine Workflow Solutions, ink key presetting solutions

Overview

or RTI

Harlequin RIP, Harlequin RIPs, Software RIP, NEW! Harlequin Software RIP Version 10

When I worked for Compose, we sold a RIP that drove an EPSON inkjet printer - that would print on clear film, and was used to expose photopolimer plates.

Overview

Hope this helps !

Hi all. I have acquired an old Agfa proset 9800 imagesetter with star 400 rip. Trying to run film to make photopolymer plates. I am from an offset background but know NOTHING about prepress.
What do I need to do now to get this thing set up to use it?? I tried downloading a driver from a number of different sites on a pc with windows 8 and had no luck. All I know is I need a computer hooked to the rip with s driver but that's the extent of my knowledge
Thanks

You might try Agfa proset 9800 // Drivers Software Updates as they indicate that they have a driver for the Proset and Windows 8. Can't vouch for the usefulness or accuracy of this driver as I haven't tried it. AGFA stopped all support for this machine back in or around 1999. If speed is an issue for you, be advised that it is a very slow machine relative to newer units produced after it. As an example, the Accuset with a software RIP is about 20 to 30 times faster than the combo that you have.

It is best to just throw the machine out. I had the machine. Problems just loading film. If you get a jam, have to take it all apart. How about parts? Cleaning, if you gets lenses out of whack, cannot be fixed.The Accuset is a superior machine, that can be purchased for around $1,000.00. I run mine w/ Appletalk. So I have a MAC that runs the older software. Can run poly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back