Need suggestions for new VDP startup

CathieH

Hi guys.

I've got my in-house printshop all set up so nicely with my new KM C6501 and everything is running smoothly. Now it's time to set up VDP to save sending some jobs out to a vendor.

I have done pre-sort VDP in the past, but don't need anything that elaborate. I just need to print variable names and addresses onto my digital runs. As I said, I have a KM C6501 that I run through a Creo, and I have a KM 1050 that I only run through the driver.

My workflow is almost solely PDF based, so I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles that come with a lot of the VDP software I've been reading about. However, I don't want to go back to my boss and say "Oops, if I'd purchased XX back in the day, we wouldn't have to switch out the software" (if you know what I mean). It's a possiblity that I'll be supporting/job sharing with our Communications Dept. in the future, which means I'd have access to CS4 that I don't now. I have Acrobat 10 Pro and Pitstop Pro (and of course the MS Suite).

Can you all give me some suggestions? I learn software pretty quickly (as most prepress people do), and would like something that I can get up and running fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and thoughts. Let me know if you need more info. I'm looking forward to seeing what you experts have to say. :)

Thanks,
Cathie

Can you give an example of how many Records you are looking to run.. And all you need to do at the moment is Names and Addresses?

I think anywhere from 1000 to 2000 records generally. And right now, yes, all I want to do is print variable names and addresses on a 5x7 postcard, which means I also will want to impose it 2-up on an 8.5x11.

Generally, since I haven't done any VDP, I have the graphic designer manually set the file 2-up to back up properly then just run it without manually imposing in the Creo. I wonder if it can still be done that way?

Jet Letter's PageBuilder PRO can do exactly what you're looking to do.

There is no need to impose the output in the design process. You simply create one postcard and then use the N-Up tool to layout however many images will fit on the size sheet you want to print on and in the cut order you desire.

PageBuilder is very flexible and scalable so it can do your simple postcards and allow you to grow into more complex VDP applications going forward.

PSL - Jet Letter- Variable Data Printing Software

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back