Networking New Shop/Need assistance!

SUPRALUV

Good evening, everyone.
Me and the owner of the new shop he just opened are having some difficulty with networking (neither of us are any good with this stuff lol).
He's got a workstation with OnyxThrive and its dongle or whatever, and we're trying to connect my laptop to the network as we can't really
afford a second Onyx license atm. In a nutshell I need access to that rip queue and all the shared files from my laptop (1 room away) and
so would it just be best to connect directly with an ethernet? Or are there some settings on my PC I need to enable/disable in order to detect
the networks that I'm missing?
Any troubleshooting advice and responses are greatly appreciated!

- Nick

I am not a pro, but have set up our shop. First thing is get a 20 to 30 port switch. Then use shielded cat 6 cables to run to the small 5 port switches where you run machines and work stations from. Do not daisy chain. I would get one or 2 NAS devices that are backed up to the cloud or drop box. You can not have too many backups. Set up onyx with hot folders and you can drop files from any machine.

I am not a pro, but have set up our shop. First thing is get a 20 to 30 port switch. Then use shielded cat 6 cables to run to the small 5 port switches where you run machines and work stations from. Do not daisy chain. I would get one or 2 NAS devices that are backed up to the cloud or drop box. You can not have too many backups. Set up onyx with hot folders and you can drop files from any machine.
Brilliant, thank you for clearing that up, it's exactly what we need.

Best regards,

-Nick

Good evening, everyone.
Me and the owner of the new shop he just opened are having some difficulty with networking (neither of us are any good with this stuff lol).
He's got a workstation with OnyxThrive and its dongle or whatever, and we're trying to connect my laptop to the network as we can't really
afford a second Onyx license atm. In a nutshell I need access to that rip queue and all the shared files from my laptop (1 room away) and
so would it just be best to connect directly with an ethernet? Or are there some settings on my PC I need to enable/disable in order to detect
the networks that I'm missing?
Any troubleshooting advice and responses are greatly appreciated!

- Nick
I am an experienced small network technician - note I am NOT certified in any "OS".
Classic Item: Would you operate to remove your appendix? I would not. You should not.
You should be extremely careful with your livelihood.
There are just too many ways this can end up in disaster.
You probably have a business plan?
There should be some reputable technician / firm in your vicinity.
Hire them.
Give them a sense of your projected short and long term goals - as a business.
Give them an idea of what your IT budget could be in those short and long terms then listen to their opinions.
They won't be cheap. You may not agree with their recommendations. You will see there are serious issues at play - not just security.
Ask them for a WRITTEN plan that will measure and address your needs.
Then try to make it happen.
If your business is around and thriving in five years you will be thankful you did this.
Unless you expect your compute needs to remain the same as they are right now?
:) YMMV

I am an experienced small network technician - note I am NOT certified in any "OS".
Classic Item: Would you operate to remove your appendix? I would not. You should not.
You should be extremely careful with your livelihood.
There are just too many ways this can end up in disaster.
You probably have a business plan?
There should be some reputable technician / firm in your vicinity.
Hire them.
Give them a sense of your projected short and long term goals - as a business.
Give them an idea of what your IT budget could be in those short and long terms then listen to their opinions.
They won't be cheap. You may not agree with their recommendations. You will see there are serious issues at play - not just security.
Ask them for a WRITTEN plan that will measure and address your needs.
Then try to make it happen.
If your business is around and thriving in five years you will be thankful you did this.
Unless you expect your compute needs to remain the same as they are right now?
:) YMMV
Duly noted and appreciated. I'm quite a fan of doing things correctly the first time :D suffice to say that's a great suggestion and clarifies the IT end of things. We will certainly plan something out in the very near-future.
Many thanks again!

- Nick

I don’t know anything about the license for OnyxThrive so I can’t say if you can or cannot access everything you want to on the rip over a network.

If that workstation is loaded with other software that you need access to because you can’t buy all the same software right now for a second computer there is another alternative. What this does is extend your video, keyboard and mouse to a remote computer or just a remote monitor, keyboard and mouse. I use one of these in case I need to fix a file quick when I’m standing at the press and don’t want to walk back to the desktop in the other room.

This isn’t a replacement for a network but if you need to run other programs on a remote computer this will work for you. You’ll need to get your network setup correctly eventually though. Keep in mind that you’re using the same computer as your partner with this device, so if he’s working on something you can’t simply remotely start another process.

Extend VGA Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse

I have done all of our networking for the past 30 years, but would agree that you might be ahead to get someone. There are so many people out there doing it, that you can get someone for for very little money to get you set up. I used to do it on the side and would charge $20/hr and know lots of other people who did the same. We enjoyed doing it and had fun. Several companies I helped out would pay me considerably more than I asked for as a tip since they were so happy to get their systems setup and running. It is kind of like fixing your brakes. Anybody can do it, but as a business owner your time is valuable and probably better spent doing what you do best.

I have done all of our networking for the past 30 years, but would agree that you might be ahead to get someone. There are so many people out there doing it, that you can get someone for for very little money to get you set up. I used to do it on the side and would charge $20/hr and know lots of other people who did the same. We enjoyed doing it and had fun. Several companies I helped out would pay me considerably more than I asked for as a tip since they were so happy to get their systems setup and running. It is kind of like fixing your brakes. Anybody can do it, but as a business owner your time is valuable and probably better spent doing what you do best.
Thank you for the insight! We indeed have plans on expanding the operation and will absolutely be having some pro's come in.

I appreciate everyone's response and time.

Kind regards,

- Nick

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back