new Adobe Acrobat DC

Dov, is there a way to change that God awful light gray background in Acrobat DC to a more smoothing dark gray?
Not yet. I would agree that such an option would be highly desirable. I have reopened an internal bug associated with this.

- Dov

is there a way to change that God awful light gray background in Acrobat DC to a more smoothing dark gray?

To each his own, of course, since lighter coolers are usually considered more soothing.

However, the colors of the icons and the rest of the UI are also chosen to juxtapose that gray - so switch to some other gray doesnt' work as well. Also, you have to consider the high contract issues for accessibility. So it's not just a simple "color switch"

To each his own, of course, since lighter coolers are usually considered more soothing.

However, the colors of the icons and the rest of the UI are also chosen to juxtapose that gray - so switch to some other gray doesnt' work as well. Also, you have to consider the high contract issues for accessibility. So it's not just a simple "color switch"

I'm just talking about this area here. There are no icons there. But since you mention the icons...they are butt ugly too.

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 8.23.38 AM.jpg

If you install Acrobat DC via the Creative Cloud desktop application, whether on Windows or MacOS, it silently uninstalls the currently installed version. If you have a separate installer, it gives you the option.

As previously noted, Adobe absolutely does not endorse parallel installation of multiple Acrobat versions due to interactions with system components (drivers, browsers, etc.) and other applications which allow for only one interface with Acrobat.

- Dov

Why silently? My Optimizing presets are gone now...should it not have kept those if it's going to delete my previous version?

At first use I like it a lot and it is a step forward. It's definitely faster and the UI is greatly improved. Congrats on a job well done.

• The "mobile link" thing keeps popping up. I get it that the product manager or somebody really like this. But I won't be using it. Why won't it leave me alone? I'm talking about the bubble that pops up in the upper right of the page view.
  • Why hasn't the compare function been fixed/improved? It does a TERRIBLE job for complex PDF files (has for many versions). Luckily, I have Esko AutomationEngine viewer which does a terrific job.
  • The UI typography is a bit inconsistent - in places it is using the Apple Mac OS default font (I loathe the new Apple System Default Helvetica and have replaced mine with Gotham), in others it uses an Adobe font (Adobe Helvetica?). Best to stick with the App/Adobe thing or use the system default fonts app-wide.
  • The UI on the layers control panel got neglected. It is still using non-vector images for toggles, an unoptimized font (no smoothing) and an odd type size compared to other control panels.

Last edited:
At first use I like it a lot and it is a step forward. It's definitely faster and the UI is greatly improved. Congrats on a job well done.

Thanks!

The "mobile link" thing keeps popping up. I get it that the product manager or somebody really like this. But I won't be using it. Why won't it leave me alone? I'm talking about the bubble that pops up in the upper right of the page view.

I guess you only use a single computer then. But if you don't wish to use it - that's fine. Just click on the bubble and it will stop coming up.

Why hasn't the compare function been fixed/improved? It does a TERRIBLE job for complex PDF files (has for many versions).

Please give us some more details here. What type of documents? What types of problems are you experiencing? Which modes/options are you using? etc.

The UI typography is a bit inconsistent

We use our own font for everything that we draw and we are stuck with the UI font for anything that it draws. But is there something specific that is an issue?

The UI on the layers control panel got neglected. It is still using non-vector images for toggles, an unoptimized font (no smoothing) and an odd type size compared to other control panels.

Yup - some of the "secondary" UI elements are still be to updated.

I really appreciate your interest in feedback.

I guess you only use a single computer then. But if you don't wish to use it - that's fine. Just click on the bubble and it will stop coming up.
I could be mistaken but I thought I had done this already. It did stop popping up after the last time. It's a great feature and great idea.

Please give us some more details here. What type of documents? What types of problems are you experiencing? Which modes/options are you using? etc.
I'll elaborate on this tomorrow in detail and come up with some real world test files.

We use our own font for everything that we draw and we are stuck with the UI font for anything that it draws. But is there something specific that is an issue?
Yup - some of the "secondary" UI elements are still be to updated.
Understood. I am extremely critical and unapologetic about ux/ui. I really commend the team on the new UI and would love for it to have the absolute full polish. It looks especially nice on a retina screen. It just looks a bit odd with typography mismatches which is something most users will never notice and/or care about.

The premise behind Adobe's Creative Cloud and Document Cloud products is that Adobe will be offering updates incorporating both new features and bug fixes on a fairly regular basis as these features are developed and fixes made. For some of the Creative Cloud applications, there were CC followed by CC2014 versions. After the CC2014 versions were released, no further updates were offered for the CC versions. For the CC applications such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, though, you can get away with having parallel installations of older and newer versions (such as CS6, CC, and CC2014) until either the OS no longer supports them or you feel comfortable without them.

What I can tell you about these applications is that you will continue to get updated applications, but whether it takes on new moniker such as CC2015 or CC-Fred, that's more of a marketing call. (I'm just a dumb engineer here; I don't have input into or insight into that process directly! ;) )

In terms of Acrobat DC, per other parts of this thread, you cannot safely have more than one version of Acrobat installed at one time on a particular system due to interfaces that Acrobat has with other applications, drivers, etc. But the plan is that subscribers to the full Creative Cloud (not just single applications or the photographer's option of Lightroom and Photoshop) or the Document Cloud will be offered updates to Acrobat both in terms of features and fixes on a regular basis. (Note that licensing Acrobat with a perpetual license will provide feature and security fixes going forward, but not additional features). Whether there are subtle changes in the names similar to what the CC applications have is not yet determined.

Clear as mud?

- Dov

Installing DC through the Creative Cloud App Mgr warns you about wiping Acrobat XI, now. If you download the installer and avoid using the CC App Mgr, it leaves Acro XI alone.

Dov, Leonard, I accept that I have been warned about running concurrent versions.

I, too, have to give props on the new interface. I like it much better than Acro X and XI.

The premise behind Adobe's Creative Cloud and Document Cloud products is that Adobe will be offering updates incorporating both new features and bug fixes on a fairly regular basis as these features are developed and fixes made. For some of the Creative Cloud applications, there were CC followed by CC2014 versions. After the CC2014 versions were released, no further updates were offered for the CC versions. For the CC applications such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, though, you can get away with having parallel installations of older and newer versions (such as CS6, CC, and CC2014) until either the OS no longer supports them or you feel comfortable without them.

What I can tell you about these applications is that you will continue to get updated applications, but whether it takes on new moniker such as CC2015 or CC-Fred, that's more of a marketing call. (I'm just a dumb engineer here; I don't have input into or insight into that process directly! ;) )

In terms of Acrobat DC, per other parts of this thread, you cannot safely have more than one version of Acrobat installed at one time on a particular system due to interfaces that Acrobat has with other applications, drivers, etc. But the plan is that subscribers to the full Creative Cloud (not just single applications or the photographer's option of Lightroom and Photoshop) or the Document Cloud will be offered updates to Acrobat both in terms of features and fixes on a regular basis. (Note that licensing Acrobat with a perpetual license will provide feature and security fixes going forward, but not additional features). Whether there are subtle changes in the names similar to what the CC applications have is not yet determined.

Clear as mud?

- Dov

Yes, thank you :)

I just figured out how to get the zoom marquee tool . . but the bigger question is why is it "Z"?????? What ever happened to command space bar??? is there no respect for consistency anymore . . . Years ago I heard a rumor about a unified gui for adobe products???????

I just figured out how to get the zoom marquee tool . . but the bigger question is why is it "Z"??????

Zoom :).

What ever happened to command space bar??? is there no respect for consistency anymore . . . Years ago I heard a rumor about a unified gui for adobe products???????

That only applies to the Creative apps - not to Acrobat. (also, cmd-space is owned by Mac OS X for about a decade)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back