a 750 7200 HDD.

After I swap out the drives -
can I run these as a Fusion Drive on a mini
and
is it worth it?

There will be ...
the operating system
and
100 GB of heavily used files - daily (continually)
with
500 or so
GB files accessed occasionally (semi-daily) in storage.
-
Will Fusion Drive
allow the entire 870 GB
to be set up as a 435 GB mirrored RAID1?

MSD

To create a raid1 array you need at least two drives. The size of smaller drive will set the array size... so if for example you have 1 500gb drive and a second 1TB(double the 500gb) drive the raid1 array size will be 500gb and this will be the usable space you can use... so for raid1 optimally you will need 2 hard drives same size. I am not sure what your ultimate goal is... if you just want to create a storage server i can walk you through creating a freenas server.

Fusion Drive is not RAID

Fusion Drive is not RAID

After I swap out the drives -
can I run these as a Fusion Drive on a mini
and
is it worth it?

MSD

Fusion drive is another name for a logical volume set, using the SSD to store frequently accessed files and demoting the infrequently accessed files to the HDD. It is not RAID. The two drives appear as one ~870 GB logical volume to the OS, CoreStorage does the file management, moving bits back and forth between the physical volumes. It is great for speed launching files, opening programs, and generally speeding up the OS. It is not fault tolerant in a two drive setup and it offers no data parity. Performance only. You can read the details here:

http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/

I see my mistake about the RAID - obviously there would not be RAID with 1 volume.
I , now, doubt I would see any advantage with a Fusion setup on a PrePress working situation.
Maybe faster reads and writes from the client machines - but not ridiculous.
Looks like the SSD to run the machine and the HDD for data - for me.

Thanks,
MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back