New Prepress Workflow Recommendations

Goodwin

We’re small sheet-fed printer/manufacturer of holding cartons. The largest sheet size we print on is a 28in x 40in. Our current CtP is a Fujifilm Javelin 8300 E, so a new workflow must be able to support that device.

We currently are using Rampage v10 as our Prepress Workflow and plan on getting it upgraded to v12 or we might get a new workflow altogether. We’re using Adobe CS6 to help preflight artwork files before ripping the artwork in Rampage. We currently looking Xitron Navigator Elite and Xitron Sierra to possible replace Rampage instead . I’m trying to find the cheapest workflow/RIP option out there since we’re just outputting to one device.

If anyone has any experience with Rampage, Navigator, Sierra or a different workflow that might work for us, I would love to hear your input. Thanks in advance!

(I should also mention all the work stations use Windows 7 Professional 64-bit except for our Rampage interface which runs on a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. It’s my understanding that we’ll have to buy a new Mac for the v12-v13 Rampage interface but I would prefer our new workflow interface to run on a windows machine since it will have a better compatibility with our other workstations.)

Stick with rampage. We run 8300E as well. I like the rip once plot many option. We use rampage to create files for press as well as Xerox and proofing devices.

Why are you considering changing your workflow? Is there some level of dissatisfaction or a particular feature set you're looking to get?

Changing workflows is painful (at best) and costly. The cost of acquisition is the least of that expense. It takes a long time to master a workflow and until then everything slows down, mistakes happen, there are unexpected occurrences, et cetera.

In the new version of Rampage they are finally going to have a windows client (how long has that taken)! Stick with Rampage. Make your life easy!

Why are you considering changing your workflow? Is there some level of dissatisfaction or a particular feature set you're looking to get?

From quotes we are getting from resellers, the costs for upgrading Rampage v10 to v12(v13) is about the same as bringing in a new workflow system. Since we're such a small printer and only using Rampage to output to one device, I don't think the change to another workflow would be more difficult than upgrading Rampage. (We are outputting to an Epson proofing with Rampage right now as well but we're going to replace that as well with a RIP that will utilize our new Espon's onboard spectro)

In the new version of Rampage they are finally going to have a windows client (how long has that taken)! Stick with Rampage. Make your life easy!

Are you sure? I was told that Rampage v13 would still require a Mac to run the interface. Perhaps I misheard because it really baffles me because the RIP runs on a PC...

We just upgraded from Rampage 10 to 12. I can't imagine ever wanting anything but Rampage. What a great system. The new version has the ability to handle your basic preflight needs as well as some other handy features. And it is much faster. You won't need a new mac to run the client. We have an old G4 box running 10.3 that runs the client fine (albeit slow).

This is from an email I got from them the other day:

Version 13.0 (aka Enterprise-R) is now in Beta test. To stabilize the initial feature set, Version 13 will continue to run under a "flat file" database structure before being ported to a relational database, a change that will set the stage for seamless data exchange between Rampage and other systems related to business and production processes.

The client in this initial release will run under Mac 10.5 through 10.8; a Windows Client will follow in a later release. Listed below are some of the main features that help further automate prepress production.
New Ink Library Editor
Overhaul of Bitmap (Imagemask) trapping
Batch PDF Fixer
More automated fix-ups (e.g., "bad" black control)
Updated RIP Engine
Download PDF

We are getting closer to release of Version 13.0. If you have questions or want upgrade pricing, please use the email address below. Thank you.

Workflow upgrade is fine. What about value addition when you are doing this exercise. Have a look at Metamation's auto nesting and layout creation solution. Saves, time, gives better optimization of paper, press & die making.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back