Anyone still using a Postscript workflow?

Macmann

We recently installed a Luscher Direct-to-Screen unit and the tech mentioned we should consider using a Postscript workflow. We are currently generating 1-bit TIFFs to image the screens. A Xitron/Harlequin RIP running Navigator v13 was included in the purchase. We are an Esko-based shop and I was curious how we would fit that RIP into our workflow? I thought that with the rise of PDF/JDF files we had moved past Postscript? (I remember back in the 90's generating Postscript files and sending them to a Linotronic 330 imagesetter). I have to plead ignorance as I am more of a Creative Suite jockey and don't get into the nuts and bolts of workflows so I don't know what I don't know. No real issue or concern-just looking for thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

I believe Indesign and Illustrator can still create Postscript, and Acrobat can export a pdf to Postscript.

Yes but why? When does this workflow make sense? Isn't it a step backward in technology? Doesn't the Postscript file still need to be distilled? That brings to mind endless transparency and font issues.
As I said, just looking to be enlightened.

Woe, did that tech arrive with his software on Syquest disks?
I can't think of any reason why anybody would want to use Postscript, not even Michael J Fox!!
PDF is definitely the way to go, you would be so slow and uncompetitive if you went with Postscript, and so many PDF features are not supported in Postscript, what bad advice!

Yes but why? When does this workflow make sense? Isn't it a step backward in technology? Doesn't the Postscript file still need to be distilled? That brings to mind endless transparency and font issues.
As I said, just looking to be enlightened.
I must have read wrongly into your post that you would have to use postscript with the included RIP. If you don't have to use postscript then don't. The only thought I would have as to why he suggested using it would to possibly have separations (plates/screens) generated as separate files.

Sorry if I confused you DYP but I think you are probably correct that the tech was focused on getting separations (screens) as separate files. We just don't want to have to go back to that workflow if it can be avoided.

We recently installed a Luscher Direct-to-Screen unit and the tech mentioned we should consider using a Postscript workflow. We are currently generating 1-bit TIFFs to image the screens. A Xitron/Harlequin RIP running Navigator v13 was included in the purchase. We are an Esko-based shop and I was curious how we would fit that RIP into our workflow? I thought that with the rise of PDF/JDF files we had moved past Postscript? (I remember back in the 90's generating Postscript files and sending them to a Linotronic 330 imagesetter). I have to plead ignorance as I am more of a Creative Suite jockey and don't get into the nuts and bolts of workflows so I don't know what I don't know. No real issue or concern-just looking for thoughts/opinions. Thanks.
Yeah that tech is an idiot. We had Luscher devices for years and used a PDF workflow (Prinergy).

We have an account on a PC and the files they send over never have embedded fonts and a few other issues. Although I'm not sure but most of the files are PDf's created out of Word or Excel. We postscript every job that way. Usually 20 pages or less financial reports and then distill them. Clears up all the issues. I inherited the previous workflow and that's the way the company handles that particular account. I have no say so and it seems tp have zero issues. Only 20-25 files a day so no big deal for me. We convert any RGB through Pitstop and double check the 3/C fonts and male sure they are 100% black with actions/Preflight checks. All work is done in an hour or less.

Last edited:
If I'm working out of Quark, I save as postscript then either distill it or run it through our Xitron Sierra RIP to get a usable PDF. Another option will be available if we get the software suite we ordered; I'll be able to export any Quark files into InDesign (using OmniMarkz) and generate a PDF from there. PDFs straight from Quark are RGB, not what I want for a production-ready file.

If I'm working out of Quark, I save as postscript then either distill it or run it through our Xitron Sierra RIP to get a usable PDF. Another option will be available if we get the software suite we ordered; I'll be able to export any Quark files into InDesign (using OmniMarkz) and generate a PDF from there. PDFs straight from Quark are RGB, not what I want for a production-ready file.
You can export PDF's from Quark that are not RGB.

You can export PDF's from Quark that are not RGB.
The only option I get in Setup under Colors is "Composite RGB;" whether I use Save as PDF or Save as Adobe PDF. Running them both through Flightcheck, the "Save as PDF" version shows as RGB and ICC color, whilr the Adobe PDF version doesn't but flags transparency issues (no transparencies in the file). Perhaps there's a technique I don't know. Also, this is Quark 2016.

The only option I get in Setup under Colors is "Composite RGB;" whether I use Save as PDF or Save as Adobe PDF. Running them both through Flightcheck, the "Save as PDF" version shows as RGB and ICC color, whilr the Adobe PDF version doesn't but flags transparency issues (no transparencies in the file). Perhaps there's a technique I don't know. Also, this is Quark 2016.
Have you tried going the "File > Export > Layout as PDF." and then setting up an export setting as CMYK?

We have an account on a PC and the files they send over never have embedded fonts and a few other issues. Although I'm not sure but most of the files are PDf's created out of Word or Excel. We postscript every job that way. Usually 20 pages or less financial reports and then distill them. Clears up all the issues. I inherited the previous workflow and that's the way the company handles that particular account. I have no say so and it seems tp have zero issues. Only 20-25 files a day so no big deal for me. We convert any RGB through Pitstop and double check the 3/C fonts and male sure they are 100% black with actions/Preflight checks. All work is done in an hour or less.
If you're using Pitstop to correct the files anyway, why not use the preflight profile that comes with Pitstop "Just make my Office PDF work"
I use this preflight on every MS Office PDF that comes through the door and it fixes 99% of issues.

Direct export of PDF/X-4 CMYK (CMYK and spot colors only; no ICC-based objects (e.g. RGB images) allowed). Supports live transparencies. I would say this is the way to go nowadays.

you will find the settings + instructions here: QuarkXP für Offsetdruck - PDFX-ready

Reactions: abc
Thanks for all the responses everyone! So much good info for those still struggling with older workflows. It reminds me that not everyone is working with the latest and greatest software. "Just make my Office PDF work" made me smile.

Xitron Navigator 13 is more suited for PDF. We moved from PS to PDF with this upgrade. I'm not sure why they would suggest that since you can RIP to 1 bit TIFF and interface with the Xitron blue box to communicate with your setter.

We continued to use PS because it was the only way to dynamically change screen angles until they finally upgraded the Navigator Client to give that ability on the fly. Prior versions ripped PDF too slow, which is another reason we adopted PDF later.

Last edited:
There are still some old Nexus systems out there being run with postscript, but most of them have migrated to PDF workflows in Nexus and then to Automation Engine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back