New Ricoh Pro C9500

jwheeler

Ricoh just made an official press release about the launch of the C9500 (the upgrade from the C9200 series). Anything seem like a game-changer here? I always love the exaggerated language and promises in these launches such as: "unlock expanded revenue streams and operational efficiency."

Notable updates listed in the article include:
  1. New Auto Color Diagnosis Unit that automates the three critical inspections in production printing: quality, registration, and color fluctuation
  2. Improved media handling of paper between 40gsm and 470gsm with extended input and output options for media up to 1260mm.
  3. An enhanced industry-leading Image Quality Monitor with 16 functions featuring seven levels of inspection that automatically compares RIP-processed image data to scanned printed image data, and improved Color Homing to ensure color stability during continuous printing.
  4. Gloss Control to adjust the amount of gloss between three levels based on media, artwork, and customer preference in order to immolate an offset printed sheet.
  5. New paper transfer unit to enable improved front to back registration.
  6. Improved 21.5-inch operator panel enabling the operation of applications in one place.
  7. Completely new, powerful Digital Front End options specifically developed in collaboration with Fiery to support operational demands for today and into the future.
  8. Outputs up to 135ppm with optional Productivity Upgrade Kit.
  9. New finishing options with the GBC StreamPunch Plus for inline creasing and perforating and the Plockmatic Crease Trimmer unit for top and bottom trimming and creasing.

Full product details page here.

I've been shopping a Ricoh 9200 or 7200. Two things that I dislike about those machines is having to run 40 sheets to build an alignment profile and suffering an old slow Fiery DFE (spindle HDD). A Ricoh tech also mentioned to me that that there is a registration distortion issue in the 9200 firmware that Ricoh has not addressed. I don't see a wow factor in the 9500 press release, but the incremental improvements (modern DFE, legit registration management, screen and UI being less painful) look nice.

I've been shopping a Ricoh 9200 or 7200. Two things that I dislike about those machines is having to run 40 sheets to build an alignment profile and suffering an old slow Fiery DFE (spindle HDD). A Ricoh tech also mentioned to me that that there is a registration distortion issue in the 9200 firmware that Ricoh has not addressed. I don't see a wow factor in the 9500 press release, but the incremental improvements (modern DFE, legit registration management, screen and UI being less painful) look nice.
This is really a non issue on my 7210. Run the alignment once (per paper profile) and save it to your paper profile, good to go next time unless your paper varies in sizes. It’s 35 sheets on the “more precise” mode. That’s like…what $4 worth of paper or less for most stock? Over the lifespan of the printer maybe spend $500 in alignment sheets. Could easily waste a lot more than that on misregistered sheets. Also our fiery is plenty fast.

This is really a non issue on my 7210. Run the alignment once (per paper profile) and save it to your paper profile, good to go next time unless your paper varies in sizes. It’s 35 sheets on the “more precise” mode. That’s like…what $4 worth of paper or less for most stock? Over the lifespan of the printer maybe spend $500 in alignment sheets. Could easily waste a lot more than that on misregistered sheets. Also our fiery is plenty fast.
yeah the fiery comment had me wondering...i recently put in my specs that I require a fiery after having used xerox freeflow for the last 10 years...talk about slow garbage...

On my Xerox V3100 the alignment profiles have to be re-made frequently (4 hours at worst, 3 days at best). How long do the Ricoh profiles stay accurate?

On my Xerox V3100 the alignment profiles have to be re-made frequently (4 hours at worst, 3 days at best). How long do the Ricoh profiles stay accurate?
I rarely readjust, cover weights seem to be very consistent, occasionally have to readjust a text weight. Maybe two or three times a year for the problem stocks, but most stocks I haven’t adjusted at all after setting.

Yeah, we were always tweaking the image position on our Versant, but the Ricoh's rarely need it. So much time saved.

Rarely do we need to adjust the alignment on our c9200 once we run the front/back calibration. Text stocks are usually the only ones that need a new adjustment done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back