Newbie getting 1st envelope press

rokuez

Hello I am very new to bulk printing & I'm looking to get an entry level envelope press or something a little bit above that. I will be printing primarily on A10 Envelopes, sometimes thick cards, and also other large flats from time to time. Around 100-200 A10's a day and hopefully a lot more once the mailing business picks up. I may also print on A10's with a window.

Questions

1. Is there a beginners guide introduction, glossary, or FAQ for newbies to read?

2. Do I need special window envelopes for laser?

3. I'm primarily printing on the Amazon A10 envelopes will I need special envelopes for a envelope press or can I stick with these cheapy envelopes from amazon?

4. When I run batches of envelopes through the envelope press I assume there won't be any issues printing both the To & From address at the same time? What software for this?

5. Do laser printers use a soy based ink?

6. Do any EP's work with Debian Linux or do you need to run Windows for the drivers to work?

7. What are the pros and cons to laser vs inkjet? I've read how laser can melt window envelopes. inkjet can smear. Are there any other issues?

8. Going with an OKI means the cheapest consumables?

9. I read a lot of people commenting about the OKI with a straight shooter, xante impressia, versant 2100, riso com colour, mcs km 1070. What brand has the best reputation?

10. What is the most reliable of these for A10 envelopes that is inkjet? I assume its OKI from what I've been reading?

11. I need to get a printer almost immediately in between purchasing an envelope press. I was looking at a all in one laser jet printer HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn where I would have to do small batches of 15 envelopes at a time. Or I was thinking of going with the HP LaserJet Enterprise M608dn with a HP Envelope Feeder. Any suggestions between these two? I'm kind of leaning towards the M608dn with the envelope feeder because it seems like its a little more robust.

I'll try to help you as best as I can. I've used two different brands, so I do have a little knowledge.
1. You'll usually get an instruction book. Most have a Quick Start Guide to get you the basics. Some brands, however, only post instructions on the web or YouTube.
2. You do need special window envelopes. They are made with corn starch so they don't melt in the fuser.
3. Our paper company sends us some really cheap looking stock from who knows where, so I don't think you have to worry.
4. Somebody else will have to help you with variable data info. Xante sells iQueue software for its printers, which has variable data capabilities. Others may also.
5. Laser printers use toner, not ink. It's usually wax based.
6. The printers I've dealt with all need Windows. They don't even play nice with Mac.
7. Laser won't melt the proper envelopes. Inkjet won't stand up to getting damp going through the mail or getting rained on. Laser also can print more vibrant colors.
8. OKI is the cheapest I've seen. Most early and some present envelope printers use rebranded OKI machines in their setups.
9. Personally, I'd go with OKI. I had a rebranded one that would have been great except for the vendor's consumables prices. Response time for service in your area has to play a part.
10. and 11. No experience with inkjet nor the HP machines.

Hope this helps.

If you decide to go inkjet I do have a slightly used (250,000) Printware Ijet printer with a RIP and conveyor that we could sell you for a good price!

I can tell you as a technician who has worked on OKI and Xante machines that both are great machines. Currently the Xante is where I lean. The heavy weight champion is an OKI machine but a different feeder. The impressia and the new Enpress do a great job. The Iqueue software is fast to pick up and even gives a cost estimator. The service from Xante and quality support is also a big difference between the two. If you need to manipulate colors you can do that as well. You will need digital window envelopes, as far as the amazon envelopes I can not attest to. I always have good luck with Mac Papers and Lindenmeyer Monroe. I wish you the best of luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back