newbie! need advice please!

nicholas731

hello mates! I am new to the printing world but have a client who wants me to start sending out postcards for them. I am looking at about 30k-40k a month initally with potential growth and eventually needing 100k a month capability. I would LOVE some good advice from you guys and gals!!! I need to be able to
1) print postcards very quickly and with variable data and with paid shipping (mail ready after print)
2) I need to have the right software but im not sure where to even begin with that
3) does the printer automatically cut it to postcard size or will i send larger paper in and have some other machine cut?
4) what is the ebst printer for this type of operation?

i realize that i have very little knowledge in this area but THANKS SO MUCH for your help! Nick

Here's what you will need:

• VDP software to add your appropriate addresses, names, etc. There is VDP capability withing MS Word and InDesign, standalone, but they won't cut it if you even needed to print just 5000 postcards. There are many options for which software to use, and I won't go into the benefits or problems with each one. Instead I'll link you to a thread comparing some options: link

• Database software such as MS Excel: to edit and organize mailing databases.

• Mail addressing software: We use iAddress, which links us directly to Canada Post. It performs tasks such as checking a database against a national registry and updating to new addresses and assigning a mail bundle number to each database record which is printed along with the actual address. Assuming you're not in Canada, you will have to contact the US Postal Service or whatever mailing service you're going to use and find out how they verify addresses.

• A prepaid mailing account with a postal service: This will get you an account number that will be printed right on the mail piece. Postage must be paid up front to the postal service, so it must also be paid up front by the customer, unless you have deep pockets.

• Getting it Printed: Typically you want to print on the largest sheet size that the printer is capable of, and run as many up as possible. You should leave at least 1/8 of an inch around the edge of the paper because most printers don't like printing right to the very edge of the paper. When picking a postcard size, take into consideration that you will most likely want some bleed area and crop marks around each postcard.

As an example, we print to an iGen3 on 14.333 x 20.5 inch paper. We leave 1/8 inch around each edge which makes the printable area 14.083 x 20.25. If you're final postcard size is to be 4 x 6 then you can fit 10 up, with no bleed or crops. If bleed and crops are required, then you might decide that the final size should be 3.9 x 6.5, which still allows 10 up, but also leaves room for bleed and crop marks.

• Finishing: Depending on the style of the mail piece, it will need to be cut to size and possibly scored, perfed, folded, or stuffed into an envelope. It is possible that some machines have a cutter online, but I don't know of any print shops or mail houses that use any.

Even if all that needs to be done after printing is a simple cut, you will still have to bundle the mail into specific postal walks, then place those bundles into specific bags, boxes, or pallets, and then take them to the post office for mailing.

To find the best printer for this type of operation, it will depend on your long term goals and budget. I think the iGen3 is awesome for printing postcards. You can really pump them out if you run it 24/7.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
hey jason, i really appreciate your kindness and advice! the igen3 like you use looks amazing but is severly out of budget. I was looking more at the docucolor line of printers. (20-40k is more reasonable for me right now) do you know of a great printer for post cards in this range? also what kind of cutting device would you suggest for me? thanks so much again! Nick

Last edited:
You're going to be looking at something like a Xerox 242/250/260 printer, or a Canon ImageRunner Advance 7000 or 9000 series color printer. You might also look into the Konica Minolta 6501 which might auto duplex your postcards depending on how thick you need them. It should duplex 10pt fine.

With regard to the variable data, I believe Indesign to be more than adequate for mail merges. We send out almost 100k postcards per month and it's worked fine. The main benefit you'll see with a third party VDP solution is the ability to generate PPML/VPS or similar file types that will decrease RIP time dramatically. For your price range on the printer though I don't think it's in your budget to purchase a RIP that can do this. You could probably get by just fine with a bustled Fiery on the Xerox 242. These have a function called "FreeForm" that allows you to print the "Master" which is all the information on the sheet that is static. Then it allows you to print a second document and use that particular master (in this case you would be printing a file with only addresses, the master would be all the other stuff on the sheet that doesn't change from card to card).

Finally after printing you will need a good paper cutter. I recommend a programmable cutter (hydraulic if possible). A decent cutter that would be in your price range is probably an Ideal Triumph, I used to own a little 4850 EP as a backup cutter and it worked like a peach. You might also consider looking around for used cutting equipment. Some shops are selling out and you can get some more production oriented equipment for the same price you could pick up a new Ideal. Challenge and Polar make good equipment that will last many, many years if properly cared for.

Vps

Vps

You might look at FusionPro Desktop for the variable merge. You can output VPS or PPML at a reasonable price.

be careful on selecting a machine that will actually run the paperstock you need. Most machines like the 252 and 6501 are not spec to run the stock and hit the registration. If you want a machine that runs the stock and keeps the price down try a canon c6000.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back