Offset paper on an Igen3

paulica

I've checked briefly Xerox's list for accepted media and now I'm backing out a bit.

We are trying to prepare landing an Igen3 in our yard, and now it's checking for paper compatibility. There is a lot to be won in short runs if they're offsetish . By this I mean price offsetish. So we want to bring some using offset to lower volumes more often, rather than one big investment in prints from the begining.

In this quest, we also have to cut down in costs, but wisely. Using offset paper was a good start, cutting from large offset sheets was the second. Of course the maximum printing size of the Igen is great for efficiency.

But, I am more interested in the practical experience with offset on the Igen. From the 500-600k a month, we will need 60 70% on offset paper.

We run a lot of offset stocks in our xerox boxes with little to no problems. Just because its not on the list doesn't mean that it wont work, service might just give you a hard time if your having feeding problems or image quality problems only on a stock that is not on the RML.

The ideea is to offer alternatives to customers. If I stick to 100% digital applications I will never increase my volumes. If a customer wants a large volume and a great price, the offset will still kick my behind any day. That's why I have to offer them something else.

We, on the other hand, use mainly digital stocks through our iGen3. I find it saves a lot of jamming issues and digital stocks are designed to handle the fuser heat and pressure. It doesn't mean you must use XEROX digital stocks, most paper mills have whole lines of digital offerings that are much more competitively priced.

I use offset in an Igen constantly. With very mixed results. Really depends on the paper. very textured paper....If it is cold/dry, you might get stacker jams. keeping paper humidified and clean helps this. And, it carries the charge out with it, can occasionally get a little static "zap" when you unload it :) wakes you right up.

VERY thin offset paper can sometimes curl as well. Still useable, but you cannot stack in the machine very high, it might jam...

the paper I use is usually 60# white offset. Note: The smaller the sheet size, the worse the problems can become.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back