Oki C931dn vs C931e

Shawnd

I can not for the life of me figure out what the differences are between the 931dn and the 931e, is it just that the e is newer? Looking to use it for a straight through envelope printer.

Thanks.

Got up with OKI and got my question answered, the E is just a newer release of the DN, has all the firmware updates done to it, apparently they had issues with the DN when it was first released. Some of the belts were updated on the E, but other than that it is the same printer as the DN.

In the UK (and Europe) we haven't been given the updated C931e but OKI has still discontinued the C931dn. Instead, we now have the C911dn, which we didn't originally have access to. I'll explain the differences:

The C911 is more expensive to run as it only accepts the standard size toners, not the high-capacity toners that C931dn customers can use. It also ships with much less starter toner, has a slightly less powerful processor and is not supported for use with EFI RIPs.

The C931e is basically the same as the C931dn but the main benefit is its even higher capacity toners. Since this model isn't available in the UK I can't give you actual CPC comparisons.

For consumers that didn't do the research they felt that the C931dn was too cheap to run considering that its only competitor was the long-in-the-tooth Xerox Phaser 7800 machine, which had much higher running costs. They therefore decided not to bring out the even cheaper to run C931e and instead release the C911dn. The C911dn model has similar running costs to the 7800 but is a much more modern engine with better feeding capabilities and similar print quality so informed consumers should still opt for the OKI. The business thinking behind this decision makes sense.

Now what you need to know is that in the UK and parts of Europe we have something called the OKI “ES” and the new “Pro” series of machines. These are what we call "closed products" and therefore can be advertised but not sold online. The Pro/ES series is CONSIDERABLY cheaper to run than the C, B, MC and MB series but it does require a user to engage with an authorised ES/Pro dealer since they are not an off-the-shelf purchase.
So the C931dn was known as the ES9431. However, OKI felt that sales suffered due to the model sitting within the rest of the ES range. So when the C931e was launched they took that opportunity to rebrand it to the Pro9431 or “Pro Series”.

Another upshot of dropping the C931 and replacing it with the C911 is that the new Pro9431 has an even greater cost saving potential (not that it really needed it). So if you’re in the UK then get in touch with us and we’ll provide pricing info.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back