Old Quark versions and Snow Leopard...

jcallison

We are a commercial printer and have run into a situation where our prepress production Macs are breaking down on us. We replace them with new G5s running Snow Leopard but cannot install Quark 7 or lower on these new machines---only Quark 8. Quark tech support tells me they no longer support Quark 7 so stop using it, but it's our customers who still use the older versions.

Until recently, were able to keep multiple versions of applications on all of our machines. Now we're down to two machines that can run Quark 7 and one that can run Quark 6---and these machines will not last forever. We also cannot afford to set aside and "preserve" these 2 older Macs for this purpose and buy new ones right away. Mostly, we are "up-saving" older files to Quark 8 and dealing with the issues.

I'm curious to know how other printers are dealing with this.

Of my customers that I know of who use Quark they open up in 7 or 8 and deal with the issues. I know of one shop around here that uses OS 9 still on one machine. When it's gone, it's gone. They understand that. Everyone else seems to ask for a PDF...

Hi jcallison,

We replace them with new G5s running Snow Leopard but cannot install Quark 7 or lower on these new machines---only Quark 8. Quark tech support tells me they no longer support Quark 7 so stop using it, but it's our customers who still use the older versions.

Just be informed that Quark still supports QuarkXPress 7. What's true though is that QuarkXPress 7 is not supported on Snow Leopard (8 is).

QuarkXPress 7 is supported on Tiger and Leopard, please also see here: http://bit.ly/bCYjX9

QuarkXPress 8 is supported on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, please see here: QuarkXPress 8 - Mac Design Software, Windows Design Software

Both, version 7 and 8, run on PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs. However you'll see a significant performance boost using them on Intel-based Macs.

So if you need to use QuarkXPress 7 on your G5 and want support from Quark, then please use Leopard as your OS for QuarkXPress 7.

Thanks
Matthias

Yeah, I need to hear some comments from people who have been forced to deal with all new machines that will not run old software. How are they handling things internally as well as with their customers who are still using old software. Sometimes customers want their final print files back and then get upset when they cannot open them.

We have several Macs still running 10.4, a couple of those also still have OS 9 on them.
We will use the old machines until they die, and then tell people to send PDFs for any older applications that are not supported anymore.

What else can you do?

If you have a G5 just use 10.5.x as your OS. Unless you are mistaken when you said new G5 but meant new intel mac. If so then you are stuck with 10.6.

Good luck
p

Hi jcallison,

Just be informed that Quark still supports QuarkXPress 7. What's true though is that QuarkXPress 7 is not supported on Snow Leopard (8 is).

QuarkXPress 7 is supported on Tiger and Leopard, please also see here: http://bit.ly/bCYjX9

QuarkXPress 8 is supported on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, please see here: QuarkXPress 8 - Mac Design Software, Windows Design Software

Both, version 7 and 8, run on PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macs. However you'll see a significant performance boost using them on Intel-based Macs.

So if you need to use QuarkXPress 7 on your G5 and want support from Quark, then please use Leopard as your OS for QuarkXPress 7.

Thanks
Matthias
Matthias, just to clarify... our new computers are not G5s (my mistake) they are Intel Mac Pros running OS 10.6.4. Quark 7 will install but when you go to enter the validation code, it gets stuck and will not take the number. You can run it fine in demo mode but when that runs out, it's all over. Quark tech support tells me that this is a known issue and that I need to use Quark 8 because they do not support Quark 7 on Snow Leopard.

I have run into issues with Quark 7.5 and 10.6.4. as well. Not the registration one but constant crashes. I recently noticed the permissions of the Quark folder was set to something strange so I changed it and all contents. Now when I lanch Quark it reports the registration file is corrupt. But it still works.

Anyhow the issue is still not resolved.

p

Hi prepressguru,

Anyhow the issue is still not resolved.

As I said above, I am afraid there are only two ways to resolve this issue (as QuarkXPress 7 is not supported under Snow Leopard):

1) Downgrade to Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5) or
2) Upgrade to QuarkXPress 8

Best regards
Matthias

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back