On site back ups

txcynna

We're using Retrospect 6.1 right now, writing backups to dvds, and rotating hard drives (that I change every few days).

Since our equipment is getting older, I have a feeling upgrades are in my future and I was wondering what other people are using... is there something better, faster, so easy a monkey could set it up? (I especially like that 'so easy a monkey can set it up' part as I ran into an issue when our RW drive died and was replaced).

For internal backup, the answer is easy. Drives are cheap now. You can simply have a second hard drive of the same size and type in the computer, and set it up to be mirrored (data is written to both drives at the same time.) If one fails, you get a warning, but you still have the data. Replace the drive (keep a spare) and you are back up. On a Mac, use Time Machine. For offsite backup, external drives and backup software make sense. Swap the drive every day or two. How much can you afford to lose? Consider floods, roof leaks, break-ins, tornadoes, and power surges, just to list a few. Do not trust any device, new or old, with your only copy of critical data.

This is a continual challenge for us. We currently back up one server to another on disk, which makes for quick restores in teh event we lose a file, or even the whole server. Then we back up the server to tape, so our workflow is disk to disk, to tape, and those tapes go off site daily. As our storage pool grows, the problem becomes more challenging with choosing a software package and having enough space.

Hi txcynna,

Although we are also using Retrospect 6.1 to backup to tape, you mentioned that you are backing up to DVD. That sort of intrigued me. Is anyone backing up to Blu-Ray? Does anyone know if Retrospect supports Blu-Ray backup?

Thanks,
hp

I agree, Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it for two different sets of backups, one nightly and the other weekly.
Very good customer support from Mike Bombich!

Server side backups are done with tape daily. Machines (which only have apps. No critical files) are backed up with time machine for now.

symantec backup exec software...use it for 4 servers and export the data out to TB tapes..we chose symantec because for restoring its simple and not time consuming at all. Support is great also.

symantec backup exec software...use it for 4 servers and export the data out to TB tapes..we chose symantec because for restoring its simple and not time consuming at all. Support is great also.

For backing up our main server, we also use Backup Exec, and back up to external drives. For our regular jobs backup, we backup to DVD's, using Disk Tracker to catalog the DVD's. We also using Disk Tracker to catalog our RIPped files on separate DVD's.

-Sev

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back