One last question about Indigo

UK Printer

We are 99% convinced the HP indigo is for us, however a rival company has sown the seeds of doubt, wondered if anyone could clarify the situation.

The primary job of the indigo for us is to run 25up 85x55mm business cards, we're doing this on 400gsm sheet (460mm x 320mm) the odd size for the HP.

we produce this work litho, but need to move it over to a more suitable machine, becuase of the time involved in runnin these grids, they are being finished on an automated Rollem machine and thats why we can use such small bleed 0.8mm on each edge of the card.

The Kodak rep says that indigo front to back registration being dodgy is aknown issue, is this true?

We were interested in the indigo because it was the only digi machine that could match the output from the litho presses, if the registration is no good then we have a problem.

Once again, thank you in advance for any advice.

A 5x5 template is in use daily on Indigo print for business cards (on 380gsm) and the 20% economic advantages are obvious. Precision trimming of the board is the more critical issue. Rollem slitting is also used on tighter register products from Indigo prints even given sheet by sheet variation. For applications with more critical register sheet by sheet variation registering to the print rather than the sheet edge is the answer but then you would have to have an upgrade the Rollem to include an Autolay.

I would put my money on HP for registration over the Nexpress, but get tolerances from the manufactures. Front to back will depend some on paper sheeting accuracy, Indigo uses tumble for back side so if paper varies your back side will vary, have to think Nexpress also tumbles instead of using common side, but please confirm...

I would put my money on HP for registration over the Nexpress, but get tolerances from the manufactures. Front to back will depend some on paper sheeting accuracy, Indigo uses tumble for back side so if paper varies your back side will vary, have to think Nexpress also tumbles instead of using common side, but please confirm...

No the Nexpress uses a rubber band type thing to flip the sheet over keeping the lead edge at the front.

Well, why don't you ask HP to run your most critical job on the same machine you might buy and slit it with the Rollem. Seems like this would answer the question. Run the same job 5 times to view registration repeatability. No question the HP is a fine machine, but I've heard of register issues and seen screening artifacts. And then, on some papers, the ink just doesn't like to adhere. Sort of a crap shoot there sometimes.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

As with any machine the end result is has more to do with the operator. In the past I have seen 4/c process work done on an AB Dick 360, Chiefs, Hamadas and a host of other duplicators. If your operator is on top of his game getting great registration on an Indigo is not a big problem it just means paying attention to the feeder and having all the adjustments set correctly and most importantly keep pushing the paper over to make sure they are in contact with the lead edge and side guide. We have had two indigos and registration has rarely if ever been an issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back