opaque golds overprint on kodak how to setup

prepress rookie

does anyone know if it's possible to have an opaque gold set to overprint on a file, but have a kodak proof so that the gold looks like it is k/o instead of overprinting.

i would like to control this either at the proofer with the AIT software or maybe a way to do it in a rip with either nexus or esko

currently we have multiple layers in the file to do this.....one plating layer with the gold overprinting and one proofing layer with the gold k/o

thanks

Re: opaque golds overprint on kodak how to setup

If you have nexus processor or you have ArtPro, you can do this by saving your pdf or postcript with the option "Force Opaque inks to Knockout".

Are you just trying to simulate the opacity of a metallic colour on the proof. Do you not have the option within the proofing software to set the opacity of the gold?

AIT can handle it.
Name based separation in the hot-folder setup (perhaps a separate one for handling this special gold situation?)

- Mac

Are you printing to a matchprint or 4-colour proofer? Are you using Prinergy? I have an issue with Prinergy at the moment and have a call logged with the response centre. In order to create opaque metallics, I have created a custom library of metallics all with their opacity set to opaque. This works fine in most cases but there seems to be a problem with 1-up files with regard to ink order. It is implied that you can control ink order but this is not true. Ink order seems to work on the principle of CMYK first and the the spots in alphanumeric order (This can be allegedly altered when processing but I find this doesn't work). The upshot of this is that if you use PANTONE 872, PANTONE Black C and CMYK, the print order always comes out as CMYK PANTONE 872C, PANTONE Black C and the Black always covers the gold. If you use CMYK, PANTONE 2765 C, PANTONE 872 C, the order will stay CMYK, PANTONE 2765 C, PANTONE 872 C.

When this is working fine, any registration marks show as they would with correct print order and show opaque gold on top. This works on Canon proofer and Matchprint and JPEG/TIFF output.

As far as Nexus answer goes, it is possible to do same on Prinergy but this would not preserve integrity of file. Once refined, you should be able to control output of file correctly to simulate print without altering original refined file.

Edited by: Alan Guest on Jul 2, 2008 5:13 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back