Opaque white down first...

TheProcessIStheproduct

Looking to do process on a dark substrate, I suspect I will have to do 1 hit of opaque and then dry trap 4CP, anyone have success? (UV not an option), just wondering if single hit will be enough and registration/fit having to do 2 passes???

Looking to do process on a dark substrate, I suspect I will have to do 1 hit of opaque and then dry trap 4CP, anyone have success? (UV not an option), just wondering if single hit will be enough and registration/fit having to do 2 passes???

The last I saw, opaque white for offset had the same opacity as vaseline so even 2 passes might not get you where you want to go.

J

You'll have better luck to put down silver and then opague white over that. It will cover much better.

Good luck,
Dave

I agree with nhprinter. Depending on how dark the substrate is, you will need to lay down silver to hide the paper. Silver is the only truly opaque ink. You will need to put down 2-hits of opaque white to hide the silver and create a white background for the 4/C.

The method mentioned above will require two passes through the press. The silver and opaque white must be completely dry before printing the 4/C process. If you have the ability, you may be better off having your ink company match the color of the paper and then run the job as a 5-color job on a white paper.

Bob

is the job a long run? is there enough money in the job to warrant a press proof? i think your treading on some dangerous ground if the job is a long run. a press proof will allow you to try out a few things without risking the entire load of paper. My concern would be the ability of the four color process to trap over the silver/white combination. No doubt it needs to be dry trapped as mentioned but i would be very cautious that the silver/white layers dont crystalize and prevent the other colors from overprinting!!! You might want to get your ink company involved and allow them to suggest the correct ink for this application.

I agree with Bob- start with a white sheet and paint it to match the paper color you want. Might run process image first, then dbl-hit the pms match. Would probably need a flood dull varn to seal sheet as final pass. All depends on the press it's printing on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back