Opening Previous Version InDesign Files in Creative Cloud

alajoe

I work For a Commercial Printer and as such we get everything from CS4 to CC on PC and Mac every week. Our Preflight person who starts and saves each job has decided this is too much trouble and he is going to do all jobs in Creative Cloud now regardless of what version it came to us in and if the fonts will open on the mac they are getting done on the Mac. I think this is bad practice and we are setting ourselves up to get stung. I think Jobs should be done on the platform and in the version they were created as that is where you have the best chance of achieving correct results. Am I being overly cautious?

I agree with you, although I have been guilty of opening cross-platform as well as opening in latest version just for convenience. I have seen font problems going cross-platform, even if the fonts are TT or OTF. I only do it if it is a simple job that is easy to check for anomalies.

Apart from possible font issues, opening an older version InD file in a newer version of the program has NOT caused any issues here that we are aware of.

Apart from possible font issues, opening an older version InD file in a newer version of the program has NOT caused any issues here that we are aware of.

Can be correct so long as the text curser is not placed into a frame. Upon editing text, the text engines flow type differently.

We try to work files in the same version of software and on the same platform that they were built. Partly to avoid compatibility issues but mainly because it's standard practice for us to send our working files out with proofs so that our customers can make edits and send back files that have already been "prepped". It's also not uncommon for them to request final files, once the job has been produced. Many of them are working in older versions of applications and they don't appreciate getting files back that they can't open.

A great tool that I found is Soxy by Rorohiko:
(Soxy | Rorohiko Workflow Resources)
It will determine what version of software a file was last saved from and open the file in that version. There's a little bit of configuration to be done initially but the setup is easy. It beats the heck out of trial and error or opening the file in the latest version and viewing the history.

I have no affiliation–just a fan.

Can be correct so long as the text curser is not placed into a frame. Upon editing text, the text engines flow type differently.

Actually, I have had this happen, but I think those files were created on a Mac, too, and I use a PC.

It was as if the inset from the edge of the box had changed (gotten wider), even though it was set to zero.

We try to work files in the same version of software and on the same platform that they were built. Partly to avoid compatibility issues but mainly because it's standard practice for us to send our working files out with proofs so that our customers can make edits and send back files that have already been "prepped". It's also not uncommon for them to request final files, once the job has been produced. Many of them are working in older versions of applications and they don't appreciate getting files back that they can't open.

A great tool that I found is Soxy by Rorohiko:
(Soxy | Rorohiko Workflow Resources)
It will determine what version of software a file was last saved from and open the file in that version. There's a little bit of configuration to be done initially but the setup is easy. It beats the heck out of trial and error or opening the file in the latest version and viewing the history.

I have no affiliation–just a fan.

I came here to say the same thing lol. Soxy is amazingly great and made for this.

Since we still have clients that use CS2 still...

But no you are not being overly cautious in my opinion.

I assume you are preserving the original file and saving a copy of the 'updated' version. If you are editing and returning files then you should be charging for this service. If you are just printing the files why aren't you getting your clients to supply CMYK PDF files?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back