Opening Quark 6.x Doc's in Quark 7

prepressguru

Has anyone been doing this on a regular basis? Flipping back in forth and quitting and launching has become a pain. I know it is very safe to have both versions. But human nature always breaks those rules and I have operators occasionally opening 6.x files in 7 without issues.

Thanks

Re: Opening Quark 6.x Doc's in Quark 7

other than text re-ragging, go ahead on, just watch what you're doing and hope you don't break it.

We've been using 7 across the board since its release. We do have a few machines with 6.5passport for those odd balls. I've heard the stories about text issues, but we've not had any problems. With over 30 mac stations we have to sometimes take a hard line on things to standardize procedures. I say go for it also.....

Did I mention I love InDesign?

Yep.. the dreaded text reflow is a very real threat. I see it often in pharmaceutical med guides / inserts.
You may get away with it on files with out loads of text.
I try to stick with the same version - if at all possible.

Ditto what Vee posted. Text shifting/reflow can be a waste of time to fix when opening the same file in Quark 6-6.5 works perfectly fine.

Same with everyone else. I stick to the same version whenever possible. It's just too risky for not much/any gain.

There are enough variables as it is in Pre-Press. Why add to the mix? It doesn't matter if it's Quark or InDesign, I try if at all possible to keep the same version.

Erik

Thanks for all the input. Looks like we'll keep doing what we have and sticking with the 2 copies of Quark. I have tried the jojo extension but I guess it is not free.

Thanks

I agree with majority, the best way is to stick with original version.
From experience we have run into similar Indesign issue with text reflow.
Not as drastic as Quark but still happens.

I've got to agree with the majority on this, but we take it one step further. We keep multiple versions of 6 and 7 (6.0, 6.1, 6.5, 7.2, 7.3, etc.) and keep track of the "point" version as well. I've seen major re-wrap when opening files that were designed in Quark 6.1 in Quark 6.5 or Quark 7.2 in 7.3. In one recent case, accidentally opening a 7.2 file in 7.3 caused random words to disappear through the job, going back and opening the file in 7.2 made everything go back to normal.

We either use Flightcheck or check the collection report to find out where a file came from and then open the files in that version exclusively.

What a mess.

QXP 6.x files opened in to QXP 7.

QXP 6.x files opened in to QXP 7.

Thanks for all the input. Looks like we'll keep doing what we have and sticking with the 2 copies of Quark. I have tried the jojo extension but I guess it is not free.

Thanks
PrePressGuru,
There is a best practices guide that outlines various ways to ensure that legacy files maintain the flow, look and feel while being rendered using the new version (as the text code between 6.5 and 7 changed due to need for a new text engine which was compiled for Univ Binary). Contact me, and I will get you the tips n tricks.
Girish
[email protected]
[email protected]
630 229 5022.

Hi Girish, yes if you could post this info to the forum I think a lot of users would benefit.

Thanks!

PrePressGuru,
There is a best practices guide that outlines various ways to ensure that legacy files maintain the flow, look and feel while being rendered using the new version (as the text code between 6.5 and 7 changed due to need for a new text engine which was compiled for Univ Binary). Contact me, and I will get you the tips n tricks.
Girish
[email protected]
[email protected]
630 229 5022.

You would think Quark would post tips & tricks

You would think Quark would post tips & tricks

The title says it all:
You would think Quark would post tips & tricks. I guess helping their customers buy is more important than helping them use.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back