Oris re-install: upgrade or no?

FileJockey

Our Oris RIP computer died painfully from a power surge last week (of the seven computers in my department it was the only one without a battery/surge protector). It was an old version of Oris Color Tuner, c. 2005 on a Windows XP server. So, complete reinstall and reconfiguration is needed. Only question, is it worth springing for the full new version of Oris package and installing on a new Windows box, or use an XP box to reinstall the older software we already own?

My thought would be this is a good time to upgrade and take advantage of some new features and functionality. The version you are running is likely going to have limited support for any new/current printers, spectros, PDF formats, Pantone Colors, etc.

You could get away with the old software but there will come a time soon when you need a new printer that isn't supported in CT 5.x. Also just from a support point of view there are going to be limited resources for support if you have issues with the old software.

While you're at it invest in a surge protector for that computer.

I would suggest upgrading - to another product! EFI Fiery XF is quite compelling, more feature rich and just as accurate. It's client/server architecture is much nicer - and you can buy it new for under $3k! Plus, once you get on their Software Maintenance Agreement - it's just $650 per year and you'll always have the current version! Demo kits are available if you'd like to try before you buy. It would require a new PC/Mac also, as the latest version is not supported on XP.

I would suggest upgrading - to another product! EFI Fiery XF is quite compelling, more feature rich and just as accurate. It's client/server architecture is much nicer - and you can buy it new for under $3k! Plus, once you get on their Software Maintenance Agreement - it's just $650 per year and you'll always have the current version! Demo kits are available if you'd like to try before you buy. It would require a new PC/Mac also, as the latest version is not supported on XP.

This is actually not a bad idea depending on how many printers and color matches you are dealing with.

I recommend an upgrade to your ORIS. The support for latest printers and built in spectros and link to automatic certification makes it well worth it. It comes with soft proofing, preflighting, load balancing, email notification on various status triggers, job log (for paper use and waste, time to print, etc.). Not to mention it requires no other color management tools. It includes it's own profiling package, and color edit tools. The new page editor makes it easy to swap channels, turn on and off separations, and view a rendered page is really handy. and as always you can drive more than one printer from a single server.
I am a bit biased but from what I can see you get a lot of bang for the buck plus it has very proven track record. The accuracy line from competitors reminds of the old Xerox commercial where the competitor would say, "It's just as good as Xerox" don't be fooled by imitators. Get the real thing.

Here's my two cents. To my knowledge upgrading your current software is chapter than the suggested Efi and Color Tuner Also has web browser based client software and to me the most important feature is the fact that if you are running Color Tuner the printer drivers are based on the original manufacturer drivers, meaning they did try it invent the wheel but used dithering patterns from the original developers. Usually this means better in quality with same speed or same quality faster than competition. Another very important thing is that while doing color matching Color Tuner uses very intelligent Gcr/ucr functions while iterating so you end up with extremely accurate color match while spending less ink and having less problems with metamerism caused by ink layers. You can also get a yearly maintenance for your Color Tuner.

Sounds like an upgrade is in order, but make sure that your current printer is still supported. Printers that only have 32-bit drivers are being dropped by some RIP manufacturers. Those would be discontinued devices that are no longer supported by their own manufacturers.

Please follow up on your decision. I am in a very similar situation.

Looks like we are probably going to purchase a new Oris Color Tuner RIP at this point. Not looking forward to rebuilding the profiles, etc., but I can't get even close to a contract proof right now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back