OS upgrade breaks type one fonts

RickS

I upgraded a couple computers to 10.6 from 10.5 and all type one fonts are showing 0 k file size and cannot be used. All jobs are stored on a windows server connected with smb. Anybody have this problem in the past. I know I held off longer than most to upgrade.
Rick

That would work for a few files. Problem is we have 4-5 TB of storage of old jobs on servers that this affects.
Rick

You must be storing the files on a Windows server with an NTFS file system. As of 10.6, a Mac will store files' resource forks as an NTFS alternate data stream rather than in an "Apple Double" file (the files beginning with "._"). You can force the OS to use the older behavior (my preference) by executing the following two lines in Terminal:

sudo echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
sudo echo "streams=no" >> /etc/nsmb.conf

You may have to unmount and remount the server, or possibly even restart. If you want to backup your nsmb.conf file first (which is probably empty or non-existent), execute this first:

sudo cp /etc/nsmb.conf /etc/nsmb.conf.old

Any files you copied with 10.6 before doing this should be copied back to the Mac first, then copied back to the server after making the change, to store those resource forks with Apple Double files instead of alternate data streams.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back