OT: Do paint stores really make custom formulas? Or do they default to closest match?

HarveyDunn

OK, this is OT, but I reckon someone here will know: the spectrophotometer for scanning paint chips in order to make a match is now pretty much standard equipment at all paint stores. But what is really happening? Do they use the scan and some sophisticated calculations to make a genuinely custom formulation? Or are they looking up the color in a database to find the smallest dE and then defaulting to that predetermined formula?

I'm not sure but our local Dunn & Edwards has hit colors dead on for me several times in the past . . . and thats with their original formulation + 5 years + fading in the California sun and the patch was undetectable . . . I don't think it would be hard . . . just like custom draw downs from your ink guy . . .

I just asked your question word for word to my paint guy. Here's what he says: It shoots the color and calculates all the color metamarisms and gives us a formula. I'd say 65% of the time, it's so close to bang on, the rest of the time it gets me close enough that I can tinker with it to make the paint almost perfect.

I just asked your question word for word to my paint guy. Here's what he says: It shoots the color and calculates all the color metamarisms and gives us a formula. I'd say 65% of the time, it's so close to bang on, the rest of the time it gets me close enough that I can tinker with it to make the paint almost perfect.
He also says that paint is too thick and milky to match exact pantones...and that you'll never get the clarity and vibrance of a pantone in paint...I know you weren't asking. That's just where our conversation led so I thought I'd mention it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back