Outlined Text prints bolder than Text ... but why?

Tim-Ellis

Hello Folks,

I have been working Pre-Press for about ten years now and I know that Outlined Text prints bolder on our HP Indigo Presses. But to be honest, I don't know exactly why.

I always assumed that it was similar to anti aliasing. I thought the RIP takes the embeded font information and does a better job rasterising the type. If the type is already outlined, it treats it as a regular shape and uses some different maths to rasterise it.

If anyone can explain to me why Outlined Text prints bolder (or sign post me to a website that explains it) I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Tim

It's called "hinting" and it applies whether the output is to display screen or bitmap for press. Hinting is lost when a font is converted to outlines.

This article gives a very brief overview with a sample image that shows the change in weight.
Font hinting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a search for truetype hinting for more info.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back