Outputting To Film Via Inkjet Printer Help!!

Phish

Many thanks for having a look at my question, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I am looking for a new way of outputting films due to the fact that it is getting harder to locate somewhere that can produce films at a competitive price, fast turnaround and also within an ideal location for collection.

I used to output films the old fashioned way using a RIP, Herc and film processor however there is no point in this as the cost of chemicals, film and equipment would push my budget well over what i am looking for, which is not much by the way. Also, i would not use it enough to keep the chemicals from oxidizing and having to do a clean and refill. This cost would just not be economical to say the least.

I have looked online recently and discovered that people are now producing films of a good standard using a good printer, not just a normal deskjet printer but a good standard inkjet printer, esp Epson builds. This would require no chemicals, little space and an initial set-up which should stay true for density and tone etc.

My question is, i have never used or seen this method at all in action, can anyone out there recommend any websites, suppliers in England or any type of information relating to this subject.

I understand you will have to purchase special film to print onto, also special dense inks to use, other than that, what else would you require? Would you have to have a separate RIP to balance the tones for dot gain etc or is this controlled by the Epson printer software itself?

Just to let you know, we mainly work on solid screen printing jobs, solid colours for type etc however there maybe the odd job that may require a halftone to be used.

Many thanks once again for any advice.

Phil.

Last edited:
Dear Phil,

We have a solution called Star Plate.

Over 80+ installations since released last year, mainly in Screen/Flexo/Letterpress companies who require Imagesetter quality linework and screen.

Please contact me offline if you would like more information.

All the best

Steve

We do just what you are describing with an Epson 9890 driven by an RTI (Harlequin) RIP.

However, the drawback is the size of the ink drop. For our photopolymer flexo plates, it's fine. We never run anything more than a 65 line screen for printing on corrugated. I also know several silk screen printers that use a similar setup. However, if you are printing offset or require a higher line screen, it won't work for you.

Depending on the run lengths get a inkjet platemaker. We have the Epson 7900ctp and regularly get 20,000 runs from the plates. Were a small shop so that is the majority of our work.

Hello

I think we may be able to help.

I work for StudioRIP in the UK, one of our sister companies I think may have what your looking for. A inkjet system for Epson. (Film+Ink + our Software) Sold individually or part of a package. It achieves a good DMax (up to 5+) but gives good sharp images and has speed and quality improvements over other systems

You ask if this can been seen in action. If you like feel free to drop me a private message. you can send a file and we can output it for you and post it back, or if you want see it up close we the system running at our office in Hertfordshire UK (but do have a site in the West part of country you could see it)

In theory you could output from a windows driver, but you wont get the control you probably need. With the StudioRIP you get following features for inkjet :
- Density control for main dot and outline edge pixels : 0-300
- Calibration system
- Selectable ink channels
- Hybrid Screening
- Customisable Angles
- Length Compensation
- Media Saving
- Twin Channel and Quad channel for increased speed (subject to selected printer being used)
- Ink Spread Compensation ( compensates for gain on solid vector objects like reverse text)
- lots more!

If you would like to check out the software there is a freely downloadable demo version from our website StudioRIP

Regards,

Rolf Heelas

Many thanks for having a look at my question, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I am looking for a new way of outputting films due to the fact that it is getting harder to locate somewhere that can produce films at a competitive price, fast turnaround and also within an ideal location for collection.

I used to output films the old fashioned way using a RIP, Herc and film processor however there is no point in this as the cost of chemicals, film and equipment would push my budget well over what i am looking for, which is not much by the way. Also, i would not use it enough to keep the chemicals from oxidizing and having to do a clean and refill. This cost would just not be economical to say the least.

I have looked online recently and discovered that people are now producing films of a good standard using a good printer, not just a normal deskjet printer but a good standard inkjet printer, esp Epson builds. This would require no chemicals, little space and an initial set-up which should stay true for density and tone etc.

My question is, i have never used or seen this method at all in action, can anyone out there recommend any websites, suppliers in England or any type of information relating to this subject.

I understand you will have to purchase special film to print onto, also special dense inks to use, other than that, what else would you require? Would you have to have a separate RIP to balance the tones for dot gain etc or is this controlled by the Epson printer software itself?

Just to let you know, we mainly work on solid screen printing jobs, solid colours for type etc however there maybe the odd job that may require a halftone to be used.

Many thanks once again for any advice.

Phil.

I use an Epson 9890 to do this for jobs which require a spot UV application. I use a "clear" media that has a milk-ish color to it. It's white enough for the Epson to see its edges but clear enough to do the job. Your rip would likely control this. My rip is set to output at the printers highest resolution (2880 x 2880) and is configured to output black only at a density of 70%. This is dark enough so that when exposed, light can't pass through it. The only potential caveat is that with such a high resolution, slow rip/output times can be expected.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back