Paddy Wagon Compound Application Techniques

ReproElectroProspero

We've been doing a LOT of padding these days. This involves setting up 10-15k copies onto a paddy wagon, and then painting them slowly in padding compound. Applied manually with a brush, it is slow-going.
One of my operators wants to know if there's any faster way to do it. Has anyone experimented with using a rolling brush or similar using padding compound? We use Lithco fast dry white, as well as Appvion NCR padding adhesive.

I think we had an entire thread a couple months ago where we all collectively decided that this method is still the most practical even with the time. It's just an annoying/time-consuming process that there isn't an easy magic solution for unless you're willing to spend massive amounts of money. :D

We discussed using a perfect binder to put hot glue on the pads as well and a couple other shops have tried this method and found it's not any faster/better than the paddy wagon and requires a person to do nothing but pads (vs. being able to do other things while the pads are drying).

We've been doing a LOT of padding these days. This involves setting up 10-15k copies onto a paddy wagon, and then painting them slowly in padding compound. Applied manually with a brush, it is slow-going.
One of my operators wants to know if there's any faster way to do it. Has anyone experimented with using a rolling brush or similar using padding compound? We use Lithco fast dry white, as well as Appvion NCR padding adhesive.
I haven't tried a roller but I imagine one of those smaller rollers might work. If you decide to give it a try let us know!

If you are doing serious quantities of pads, try to pick up a 4-station Muro turntable padding press with heat assisted drying.
By the time your pad person has painted the glue onto the fourth stack, the first will be dry and ready for the separation knife.

I haven't tried a roller but I imagine one of those smaller rollers might work. If you decide to give it a try let us know!
I will! I have concerns about the brush not holding up well, but it's a cheap experiment.
If you are doing serious quantities of pads, try to pick up a 4-station Muro turntable padding press with heat assisted drying.
By the time your pad person has painted the glue onto the fourth stack, the first will be dry and ready for the separation knife.
Hadn't heard of those, thanks for the tip. Looks like UK sites come up when I google, will be investigating US options.
Is your job 10-15K pads or consisting of 10-15K copies (sheets)? At (typical example) 50 sheets per pad, that's only 200 pads
We usually run 15k sheets at a time, but often have multiple orders of that to fulfill at once. (150 sets of 100page pads, but of several similar looking forms). We aren't exactly doing enterprise level production, but we're a 4 person shop.

Hadn't heard of those, thanks for the tip. Looks like UK sites come up when I google, will be investigating US options.
Muro are sadly no longer manufacturing. They are easy to find refurbished in mainland Europe, especially Germany. Not so much in the UK and don't know about the US.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back