PANTONE Certified Printer Program?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmiller_iluvprinting

I see PANTONE has announced the PANTONE Certified Printer Program. I'm just looking for everyone's opinion and feedback on this. Is Xrite stepping on the toes of IDEAlliance? The costs of certification and recertification are through the roof $7,850 & $6,050 respectively, plus additional costs for software, equipment calibration, etc. I'm just not sure I see a need for this, and I question the value of the program.
Regards,
Todd

I see PANTONE has announced the PANTONE Certified Printer Program. [SNIP]I'm just not sure I see a need for this, and I question the value of the program.
Regards,
Todd

Hmmmm...if just 5,000 printers world-wide sign up that's $39,250,000 in immediate high profit margin revenue. Then there's $30,250,000 each subsequent year at nearly 100% profit. And you don't see the value of the program? ROTFL

It's probably a good idea to get your explanations ready for wide-eyed print buyers who ask if you're Pantone Certified just in case Pantone succeeds with their marketing to the creatives.

best, gordo

Hmmmm...if just 5,000 printers world-wide sign up that's $39,250,000 in immediate high profit margin revenue. Then there's $30,250,000 each subsequent year at nearly 100% profit. And you don't see the value of the program? ROTFL

I thought of this as soon as I typed that line, no laughing matter for printers.

It's probably a good idea to get your explanations ready for wide-eyed print buyers who ask if you're Pantone Certified just in case Pantone succeeds with their marketing to the creatives.

I know, this is what scares the hell out of me about this. The world of printing, or should I say the world of printers should be pissed about this. It's borderline blackmail, Xrite should be ashamed.

Regards,
Todd

From the press release "...Those printing to the GRACoL standard can use PANTONE Color Numbers straight from PANTONE Guides; others can calculate the best four-color build for their press conditions by using PANTONE COLOR MANAGER Software..."

Am I wrong or that means that if a printer already uses the G7 method to match Gracol color within tolerance there is no real benefit? Printed Pantone 4 col matches should then be up to Pantone's expectations.

Becoming a Pantone Certified Printer has given our company the repeatability and now offers our clienst the assurance that there jobs will be reproduced consistently with the highest standards, from the Preflight to the Prep to the Press room to Ink room. It all started with the Partners (we are allready G7 and ISO 9002 and 1400). And we are excited to be participating in this program.

Becoming a Pantone Certified Printer has given our company the repeatability and now offers our clienst the assurance that there jobs will be reproduced consistently with the highest standards, from the Preflight to the Prep to the Press room to Ink room. It all started with the Partners (we are allready G7 and ISO 9002 and 1400). And we are excited to be participating in this program.

I would hope that the process controls were in place and that you were tracking and trending press data before Pantone showed up, especially if you are a G7 Master Printer. It's a steep price to pay for someone to come in
and tell you things you should already know. I'm sorry, I just don't see the merit in this program, and Gordo hit
the nail on the head, it's all about raising revenue with little investment or risk.
Regards,
Todd

Hmmmm...if just 5,000 printers world-wide sign up that's $39,250,000 in immediate high profit margin revenue. Then there's $30,250,000 each subsequent year at nearly 100% profit. And you don't see the value of the program?

Press Release:
"Terry Wyse, Principle of WyseConsul, hereby announces Wyse-Ass Certified Printing and Proofing Systems. For a mere $5,000 you can have your press or proofing system certified by....me.
After the first 1,000 submissions are completed and checks deposited, I will hereby retire."

:)

Seriously though, I can understand the idea behind proofer certification but it's fraught with peril in my opinion.....to wit:

* You have to stick to the letter of specification in order to be "certified"....change ONE item (media, spectro, etc.) and you can't call yourself certified. For that reason, when a manufacture states in their marketing material that their "Chevrolet Ultra X9000 Super Printer" is SWOP or GRACoL certified it is completely MEANINGLESS. On the other hand, if I (as a super-duper color management guy) can show my customer that I've profiled their proofing system to within a dE2000 Gnat's Hair of the GRACoL specification, as far as I'm concerned I've just "certified" their proof to GRACoL despite whether it follows the ADS to the letter. It should be all about the numbers and tolerances....if you can demonstrate that, then as far as I'm concerned......

* ....but because of inter-instrument DISagreement, there's really no guarantee that my certified proof is going to visually match your certified proof.

Age-old problem......you have to open up the dE tolerances enough to account for inter-instrumnet disagreement...but by doing so, you've pretty much guaranteed that two "certified" proofs are not going to match visually with any certainty. Come up with a way to guarantee inter-instrument agreement and then get back to me.

:)

Terry

I work for Pantone. This new program has been developed in response to customers (both major brands and printers) asking us to establish a program for Pantone color certification. I can understand some skepticism about a new certification program when there are already several established programs in the market. The Pantone program is meant to complement other certification programs and puts more emphasis on other areas such as ink mixing and solid color management. The audit is extensive and our first certified printers can attest to that.

Exactly- it is meant to compliment and enhance our other extensive certification.And yes the audit was very extensive. We can only offer a even HIGHER STANDARD of repeatability and color management.

I work for Pantone. This new program has been developed in response to customers (both major brands and printers) asking us to establish a program for Pantone color certification. I can understand some skepticism about a new certification program when there are already several established programs in the market. The Pantone program is meant to complement other certification programs and puts more emphasis on other areas such as ink mixing and solid color management. The audit is extensive and our first certified printers can attest to that.

Many printers do not mix their own Pantone spot inks but use an outside lab, usually their ink supplier. So what happens in that case? Should the ink vendor be certified and as a result their customer printers are in effect certified? I.e. If I buy ink from an ink vendor that has been Pantone certified then why should I pay to be certified?

Regarding the new program being developed in response to customers (both major brands and printers) asking you to establish a program for Pantone color certification. To quote Henry Ford: "If I’d asked my customers what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse." Perhaps there are other methodologies to meet both major brands and printers needs than to create a Pantone Certification program.

Could you describe the details of the audit?

thx, gordo

* ....but because of inter-instrument DISagreement, there's really no guarantee that my certified proof is going to visually match your certified proof.

Age-old problem......you have to open up the dE tolerances enough to account for inter-instrumnet disagreement...but by doing so, you've pretty much guaranteed that two "certified" proofs are not going to match visually with any certainty. Come up with a way to guarantee inter-instrument agreement and then get back to me.

This will provide Xrite with the means to further their XRGA program. They will update your equipment for a nifty service fee I am sure, and I am sure the audit will find that ALL of your legacy equipment will need to be updated.
The last line of the press release states "There may be additional costs for products, software and equipment calibration necessary to pass audit requirements."

Regards,
Todd

Many printers do not mix their own Pantone spot inks but use an outside lab, usually their ink supplier. So what happens in that case? Should the ink vendor be certified and as a result their customer printers are in effect certified? I.e. If I buy ink from an ink vendor that has been Pantone certified then why should I pay to be certified?

Regarding the new program being developed in response to customers (both major brands and printers) asking you to establish a program for Pantone color certification. To quote Henry Ford: "If I’d asked my customers what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse." Perhaps there are other methodologies to meet both major brands and printers needs than to create a Pantone Certification program.

Could you describe the details of the audit?

thx, gordo

Gordo,

Even if you specify a Pantone ink, ink mixing has many variables based on the type and application of the inks. The Pantone certification helps printers account for and minimize many of those variables.

Good point about the Henry Ford quote! The Pantone Certification was developed with input from our customers and our technicians. We would love to discuss the program with you more, please feel free to contact Matt McDowell 201.777.5904 - [email protected]

Gordo,

Even if you specify a Pantone ink, ink mixing has many variables based on the type and application of the inks. The Pantone certification helps printers account for and minimize many of those variables.

Good point about the Henry Ford quote! The Pantone Certification was developed with input from our customers and our technicians. We would love to discuss the program with you more, please feel free to contact Matt McDowell 201.777.5904 - [email protected]

You respond but manage to not answer questions or provide any information (other than the phone number).

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back