Paper Banding machine recommendation

Stickman42

I have a shrink wrapper that suits me fine for most of my projects which include individually wrapping perfect bound books in the 6"W x 9"H x .75"D range. Every now and then we get asked to produce smaller items like bookmarks and postcards as companion pieces to the books we make. As an example I have an order for 3000 2" x 6" bookmarks to be wrapped/packaged in 10's. The printing is quick and a breeze. Trying to put a small item like this through my shrink wrapper is a challenge. My thoughts turn to a paper bander. I've seen floor standing ones, but think they are too much for my needs. Does anyone have a desktop model they can attest to?

We bought a Sunpack WK02-30 which uses 180m 29mm White or Kraft coated paper tapes, or 29mm film. Duplo are the UK distributor, presumably there is representation your side of the pond. The other similar machine we considered was the Akebono Strapack 360N, this uses 30mm tapes/film.
Three months isn't long enough to give a comprehensive review, however we're satisfied with the machine to date.
We've found white paper is the cheapest, then Kraft, with the film costing double the price of paper. Buying a machine that uses 30mm width substrate may be more cost effective if you're using it heavily, as there are more options out there.
Both machines I've mentioned also have the option of being bottom fed with an option retro-fittable wheeled stand, which takes a much larger reel of substrate, so you're future-proofed there.

We do a lot paper banding. We make several small, odd-sized items that we have to package in sets of 50 or 100. We use the Duplo UP-240. It's been a great machine. We acquired it in 2021, use it every day, and have never had a service call on it.

I have a shrink wrapper that suits me fine for most of my projects which include individually wrapping perfect bound books in the 6"W x 9"H x .75"D range. Every now and then we get asked to produce smaller items like bookmarks and postcards as companion pieces to the books we make. As an example I have an order for 3000 2" x 6" bookmarks to be wrapped/packaged in 10's. The printing is quick and a breeze. Trying to put a small item like this through my shrink wrapper is a challenge. My thoughts turn to a paper bander. I've seen floor standing ones, but think they are too much for my needs. Does anyone have a desktop model they can attest to?
If this is what you are looking for . . .
Inexpensive, almost infintely adjustable, and you can use paper trims with tape to hold items together.

Attachments

• PaperBander.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 50
If this is what you are looking for . . .
Inexpensive, almost infintely adjustable, and you can use paper trims with tape to hold items together.
I think I'm looking for something in between the non-powered one and the Duplo/Sunpack machines. My pack quantities will usually be in the hundreds, with jobs weeks apart. I see cash banding machines on the web for $1k or so. I'm wondering if it'll do my type of products, although I wish I was wrapping cash!

I've got one of the cash ones of AliExpress.
It's been pretty good. Needed a replacement blade and some adjustments but that was after wrapping 30k packs.
All in all we're pretty happy with it.

Had some clients who used to request shrink wrapped in quantities that we have switched over using the eco angle.

Are there any minimum stack heights on the machines you guys have used? I've looked at a few spec sheets but can't be sure. My specific application today is to wrap 10 bookmarks of 12 pt.. Stack height is .12"

The Sunpack WK02-30 doesn’t have a minimum stack height, however on thin stacks you must back off the tension to prevent an over-tight concave result. Whereas with a bulky product or a cylindrical (e.g. posters) generally the tighter the better

Are there any minimum stack heights on the machines you guys have used? I've looked at a few spec sheets but can't be sure. My specific application today is to wrap 10 bookmarks of 12 pt.. Stack height is .12"

Same thing on our Duplo as @Ynot_UK said.

Between our two units, I like the design of the Sunpack better, plus, it's about half the cost. On the Duplo, there is no upper track for the banding strip to follow. It just forms a loop that stands up on it's own springy-ness, and it's not a very big loop. With larger items, you have to be careful not to catch it on the banding material as you slip it into the loop. However, on the Sunpack, the band is protected and offers a much larger opening.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back