Paper in the web heatset press.

ronson

Hi to all,

i was trying to ask a question here a while ago, and it came out badly, that even I could not understand what exactly was i asking for, sorry for that and no more coming from late night partys and typing questions here on PrintPlanet :eek:

But Id really like to understand what kinda forces are influencing paper as it enters first printing unit after infeed and comes out from the fourth, before dryer and chillrolls?

Best Regards,
Ron

Forces, mmmmmm let me see

Forces, mmmmmm let me see

Hello Ronson,

Well I'll start with two of them, Expansion, Contraction and Expansion

I suggest you read some of the PDFs I have posted on this forum.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
And take care of the paper tension,this also influence the dot shape,you must ensure the tension in the paper roller same as in the press~Or it will cause some problem~

but what happens to the tension, when blanket gaps are aligned, is there a brief moment when paper can freely move thru?

You can judge by the printing samples~If the tension varies a lot,the star strips will show the change~Especially in black unit~

Web Offset Fundamentals

Web Offset Fundamentals

Ronson,

Some fundamental answers.

1) Tension is maintained at the Cyl. Gap by means of Web Wrap

2) Tension level for the substrate, is set at the Infeed

3) Paper does not flow, but is drawn through a web offset press. This creates a force in the web known as Web Tension

4) Web control involves three major factors -- Tension, Flow Rate and the Modulus of Elasticity of the web All three are fundamentally interrelated.

Regards, Alois , I enclose PDFs

Attachments

• Blanket Wrap # 1060.pdf
    140.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Blanket Wrap # 2.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 149
so what about increasing infeed tension during printing? I have noticed that when running press on very slow speed and increasing tension I can hear paper slipping through blanket gaps.

Hello All, Does anyone know where can I get in Canada cust sheets of 35lb offset paper or 23x35 sheets of 35lb paper which can be converted to smaller size, i.e. 11x17, 12x18, 8.5x11, etc. Thanks

Tension

Tension

Hello fellow Lithographers - Web Offset,

1) Infeed tension should be set at a suitable load for the Substrate.

2) Properly tensioned, the press should be able to Crawl/Run,
if needed just disengage Infeed Nip Roller, when on crawl -- lower tension.

3) Slip??? The Blanket to Blanket printing nips are the most stable on the press.

PDFs

"From knowledge to competence is a great step --- from ignorance to competence an
even greater one"

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Infeed dancer # 1063.pdf
    844.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Tension Units # 2066.pdf
    960.3 KB · Views: 149
  • What is Tension # 1065.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
what about maintaining tension between units, for example, when all the blankets have run 10 million copies and are still OK, but pressman has to change blanket on second or third unit?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back