Paper Shortage?

At these prices will printing and paper business sink further, already under onslaught from digitisation?

Makes it strange to give detail specs on a job. My instructions usually say something along the lines of:

"It prints 4cp/4cp on 12 x 18 gloss text (60-lb, 70-lb, 80-lb, 100-lb, whatever you got), no bleeds.........."

So would you guys say your stock of gloss cover papers is getting better / same / worse now?
It is trickling in better than it was, for me. I have been flexible on sheet sizes and substitutions, and I’m still running easier to find substitutions on any job I can….and if I find a less desirable size that I can use efficiently for certain jobs for sale, I will buy that too.

Hard to believe it has been a year of this mess so far, well I can believe it as I have less hair now :ROFLMAO:

Our paper supplier just increased paper allotments so I take that as a sign that either stocks are easier obtained or less being sold at the higher prices.

I noticed prices have gone up again in the last week or 2. Blazer Satin 80# text 12x18 is now .09 per sheet. And that is still to only brand we can get.

I've heard about the global paper shortage, the major cause is the supply chain issue that occurred during the pandemic. Due to the high demand and low supply prices increased massively. Now as everything is getting normal, so I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

I've heard about the global paper shortage, the major cause is the supply chain issue that occurred during the pandemic. Due to the high demand and low supply prices increased massively. Now as everything is getting normal, so I hope this issue will be resolved soon.
It won't be. The major supply chain issues are not getting resolved or fixed. The companies that stopped making paper during covid and/or were bought out by paper packaging companies are not going to go back to making printing paper. It's not going to be the same again until and unless companies decide to invest in making new paper factories and that's such an expensive proposition I don't see any likely new players choosing to enter the market for a long time so supply is going to remain tight for a while.

And what supply you can get is going to be more expensive, thanks to investment companies buying up the paper companies and squeezing every penny out of them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back