Paper Triage

gordo

640 Paper Triage.jpg

Will shortage prove to be suicidal for paper and print industry in the long run. Print is already facing onslaught from digitisation

We have switched almost everything to un-coated sheets. We have a skid of 100# Gloss Text and Cover that we use for our largest clients brochures, but if time allows we order them out to save what we have. The trade printers seem to be getting gloss paper so far.

Truer than you realize. Back in the day, a printer would win, or, lose a job based on pricing, service and reputation. In today's world it has come to availability of paper.

Truer than you realize. Back in the day, a printer would win, or, lose a job based on pricing, service and reputation. In today's world it has come to availability of paper.
A chunk of my job is buying printing. When I put an annual project out for quotes this year, the RFQ sent to vendors we haven't used before included a requirement that the vendor be able to document having paper ON HAND if the order was placed. I've never had to do that before, in _mumblemumble_ years of doing this.

You'd think the Fates or something were conspiring to shut down the printing industry entirely with all the shortages and problems along with the digital media invasion.

OK, so I can't get glossy paper. So how about you print on some nice 20-pound bond and put a flood coating on it? It'll be the same, right?

The way things are going, in a few more years 20- and 24-pound bond will be about all you can easily get. (On allocation, of course.) Maybe 110 cover if you ask nice.

One of my kids is a mar-comm manager and she says they barely print anything anymore. They send out PDFs that people print on their desktop printers--if they want something printed. Where I live people give file cabinets away or take them to the dump and put them in the metal pile. No need to store paper as everything comes in as a digital file.

OK, so I can't get glossy paper. So how about you print on some nice 20-pound bond and put a flood coating on it? It'll be the same, right?

The way things are going, in a few more years 20- and 24-pound bond will be about all you can easily get. (On allocation, of course.) Maybe 110 cover if you ask nice.

One of my kids is a mar-comm manager and she says they barely print anything anymore. They send out PDFs that people print on their desktop printers--if they want something printed. Where I live people give file cabinets away or take them to the dump and put them in the metal pile. No need to store paper as everything comes in as a digital file.
That's all fine and dandy, but, watch how everyone scrambles in panic and chaos when their computer/server crashes, or, they get hacked and can't access their files as they try to revert back to hard copy processes.......................

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back