Parts not in!!!

JustPrint!

How many of you out there heard that from your service technician/service manager. Oh sorry we can't fix it because part is not in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do these people think we are stupid? Are they buying time?
They have a freaking warehouse were parts are stocked. And if they run low, they order more.
This is what I don't understand:
1. You have 100 parts.
2. Your threshold is at 50 parts.
3. You drop below 50 parts, you order more.

If it's a common part, you stock 500 pcs.

This is a rant about KM. Don't get me wrong the KMC6501 is a life saver. Great machine.
Service manager, completely clueless.

This scenario happens across all brands. I have the same problem with Canon service manager/technicians. "Parts not in, we have to FedEx it from east coast". LOL. Except Canon machines are trash.

Anyways, just wondering if you guys have to go through the same stuff over in your area?

Unless it is a major part, we have the "most common" parts sitting on our shelf! If it is a major part it is shipped next day air. You need to get on your service manager and set the rules for your needs. (should have been done before you signed on the dotted line)

One of the issues that happens is that manufacturers don't want any extra inventory. One of the Japanese companies I deal with only make parts when you place an order. Their lead time is 60-90 days on about everything. They don't do rush orders. If your normal usage is 10 and you use 20 then you just have to wait. There aren't any alternates sources for these parts.

In those situations we get the heat for it. Our management won't let us carry extra stock for a once in a while spike.

2 things: (1) Switch to Xerox -- you'll be much happier with your service. (2) and, this is where many digital print providers make their biggest mistake - you must have redundant backup. Many printers think they can buy ONE digital production press, and then go about making money. For Color, we have 3 Xerox production presses. If one goes down, we place the service call and then move the job to one of the other printers. If you are the print provider, the last thing your customer wants to hear is that their job will be late because you have a printer down waiting on parts -- that's NOT their problem!

And if all else fails, revert back to what has actually happened during this sequence of events. People really don't give a crap anymore. I thank God everyday that I have certain connections in the Industry and the ability to do 95% of my own repairs. I feel your pain......

Last edited:
Funny...

Xerox never runs out of parts???

Really?

Ask ANY Doc 5000 owner on here..

How about 2 summers ago when they tried to make the "universal" heat roller for the 5000 / 7000 / 8000?

Disaster....

Back order was 2-3 weeks and the "new" rollers were pieces of shit.

Color drums?? 7 to 10 days sometimes....

How about when Xerox runs out of "toner"??

Cyan? Black?

7 -10 days back-ordered

Happened AT LEAST 3 times in the last 1.5 years

Crazy.....

In Re: Xerox - I'm sure it's different, based on your location, but, we switched to an all Xerox shop about 4 years ago. Most parts they store here at our site, they have a separate-dedicated area just for their parts. Some parts they carry around in their vehicles. Some parts they have at their local distribution warehouse.
And, yes, every once in a while, they have a part over-nighted, but, not very often. We've absolutely never had a problem getting toner, or supplies. In those 4 years, I can only remember one occasion where we had a printer down overnight, but, that's why we have more than one printer.

You see, Xerox (unlike other vendors) has figured out how to make money in this business:
If your machine ain't running, they are not generating revenue from the clicks. Simple concept, I know, but, you'd be surprised how many other vendors just don't get it. Instead of keeping the revenue coming in from the clicks, other vendors cut back on parts inventory.

Greetings MailGuru - much of what you say is TRUE.

Xerox does allow us to maintain a "parts locker" on site to keep most of the common parts on our floor. That is nice.

It is also true that the Xerox "Techs" do carry "many" parts with them on their trucks / vans.

It is also true that we have a local "parts depot" warehouse here in town where additional parts are kept.

All that being said, it is not uncommon for a part to not be available.

See my above comments about the "universal heat roller" disaster and random "toner" shortages.

It does happen.

Greetings MailGuru - much of what you say is TRUE.

Xerox does allow us to maintain a "parts locker" on site to keep most of the common parts on our floor. That is nice.

It is also true that the Xerox "Techs" do carry "many" parts with them on their trucks / vans.

It is also true that we have a local "parts depot" warehouse here in town where additional parts are kept.

All that being said, it is not uncommon for a part to not be available.

See my above comments about the "universal heat roller" disaster and random "toner" shortages.

It does happen.

Quoted for truth.

Xerox is at it again....

ANOTHER "bad" batch of color drums floating around for the DC 5000

Awesome....

Blowing 3-4 drums a day currently.

Drums are back ordered "at least" 7 to 10 days.

Way to go Xerox. Keep finding those "cheaper" parts vendors.

Cheaper is ALWAYS better. Always.

Sh*t!!!

:(

Seconded. (As he waits for parts...)

So funny story, the tech came in yesterday with the parts that we were waiting on. Attempts repairs, but discovers that the part we waited 2 days on is actually the wrong part! And they cannot figure out what the right part is. So now, if I ever get a fuser jam and have to pull it out, it disconnects from the print engine, prompting a overall fault. Luckily he showed me a work around to get it to work, but I pray that it's just a temporary workaround.

What is wrong with you people?
Parts locker?
Switch to Xerox? (LOOOL)
You pay for what you get?

Here is a concept, we all keep house sheets don't we? We are down to 5,000 sheets, we order more.
Is it too hard to apply that same logic to parts?

I don't think the real reason is they are out of parts, I think they are buying time.
But if they are really out of parts, then fire the warehouse manager!!!

Unless it is a major part, we have the "most common" parts sitting on our shelf! If it is a major part it is shipped next day air. You need to get on your service manager and set the rules for your needs. (should have been done before you signed on the dotted line)
Well, that's the thing. All the common parts they have 10 minutes away at the warehouse. It's those not so common parts that they have to overnight.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back