Patching Blankets

CD102

I was just wondering what comments I might get from the group on learning that some operators are using masking tape to patch coating blankets? I checked this stuff with a micrometer and it was nearly .006" thick and my past practice was to never use anything more than .003" and preferably .002" or less.

It seems like overkill to me and increases the risk that the areas around the patch are going to break up. I've definitely seen where it mashes the packing so that it can't be re-used with another form.

patching coating blankets

patching coating blankets

I ran a roland 800 with a tower coater printing folding cartons & we often patched smashed blankets with masking tape, always from inside the blanket & always tore the straight edge off of the sides of tape never had a problem.The cost of blanket & time involved either cutting or plotting new one easily outweighed the possible packing smash.we found if you didnt tear edges straight lines from tape would show sometimes.
allen

To patch a blanket we use the paper that comes from between the plates and tear off in a circular pattern.
Unclip blanket so you can get to the under side of it ,apply some grease, place down rounded off paper, roll blanket back on and away you go.

I used to work on a Roland 800 years ago. It was the press that I loved to hate and still refer to it as the monkeybar press. I have to admit that clambering up and down on that machine kept me in fairly good shape.

roland 800

roland 800

Yeah the roland 800 was the press i learned the trade on , plant had 2 of them newest around 96 or so. .The whole piggyback concept not very pressman friendly.not a bad running press though.I work in the metal decorating industry now, running a kba liking the inline concept much better...............

Roland 800

Roland 800

Ours was a 1979 model and all the ink keys, sweeps and back cylinder adjustments had to be made manually at the unit. It wasn't much of a step up from the 77" Meihle presses we had as far as operator conveniences go.

Old Timer once mentioned using a crayon or wax which will build about .002-.004 and have smooth edges.

I was just wondering what comments I might get from the group on learning that some operators are using masking tape to patch coating blankets? I checked this stuff with a micrometer and it was nearly .006" thick and my past practice was to never use anything more than .003" and preferably .002" or less.

It seems like overkill to me and increases the risk that the areas around the patch are going to break up. I've definitely seen where it mashes the packing so that it can't be re-used with another form.

depends on how big the smash or lowspot is, if its just low and no rip use paint stripper the gel kind!Masking tape also works ! Hey your just useing it for coating! as far as a few extra thou, if thats what your worried about , it wont hurt anything! Even on a heidelberg!

depends on how big the smash or lowspot is, if its just low and no rip use paint stripper the gel kind!Masking tape also works ! Hey your just useing it for coating! as far as a few extra thou, if thats what your worried about , it wont hurt anything! Even on a heidelberg!

I guess I won't mention what gets done on print units.

I guess I won't mention what gets done on print units.

Just trying to help! I have ran those babies since I was 18, I even know how to get rid of the famous Heidelberg bump! When I started you had to be able to run all the sheetfed presses Harris, the miehle and yes the as time went on even the dreaded mitsu!After that I moved on to web.........Trust me it pays off learning them both!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back