PayPal may take your money if they disagree with your views

jwheeler

I know many in here like to speak their mind on political topics - and you should! However, if PayPal doesn't agree with your stance, they have now declared they can penalize you up to $2,500 and just debit it from your account. Might be time to find another payment app if you use them!
Read more here: PayPal Censors Speech? Users Jump Ship After Questionable Policy Draft Leak

(By the way, PayPal has since changed the verbiage in their terms once the internet responded in outrage - but the fact that it was there to begin with, and how they have banned other companies who have political views different from their own should still give us pause)

I know many in here like to speak their mind on political topics - and you should! However, if PayPal doesn't agree with your stance, they have now declared they can penalize you up to $2,500 and just debit it from your account. Might be time to find another payment app if you use them!
Read more here: PayPal Censors Speech? Users Jump Ship After Questionable Policy Draft Leak

(By the way, PayPal has since changed the verbiage in their terms once the internet responded in outrage - but the fact that it was there to begin with, and how they have banned other companies who have political views different from their own should still give us pause)
Just ditch PayPal. There are a pluritude of other services and soon to be other protocols that will offer the same functionality.

Just move on. PayPal is long long dead.

1665515345432.png

Maybe Printing Supplier's will follow suit. Imagine that in a Gov. Bid demand, or a paper supplier refusing to sell to a person that made a FaceBook post they do not agree with This is how redicules the world has become. I blame social media and marketing groups selling data. I love printing and the USA, but being cancelled today is real.

By the way, PayPal has since changed the verbiage in their terms once the internet responded in outrage - but the fact that it was there to begin with, and how they have banned other companies who have political views different from their own should still give us pause
Agreed we should be non-aligned because of their NORMAL predatory practices.
However you should not lead a post with a hear-say headline from a (after a quick glance at the website) less-than stellar source.
Unless you are just trolling for that source?

However you should not lead a post with a hear-say headline from a (after a quick glance at the website) less-than stellar source.
The article clearly says it was first reported by The Daily Wire, which while maybe not aligning with your views is a very credible news source.

The article clearly says it was first reported by The Daily Wire, which while maybe not aligning with your views is a very credible news source.
Yes thank you @AP90! If you do just a bit more googling on the topic @chriscozi , you'll find numerous other articles by other sources explaining the same thing.

Maybe Printing Supplier's will follow suit. Imagine that in a Gov. Bid demand, or a paper supplier refusing to sell to a person that made a FaceBook post they do not agree with This is how redicules the world has become. I blame social media and marketing groups selling data. I love printing and the USA, but being cancelled today is real.
Bias over awarding government bids or even large corporation print contracts for political reasons has been happening for a long time. Many RFP/RFQ's have text alluding to that fact that favor will be shown to print shops who are women owned, minority owned, or have a certain percentage of minorities, etc.

You do realize that PayPal still passed an update without the "misinformation" section? You know what is still present in what they passed? Penalizing you the $2,500 if you exhibit intolerance or discrimination.

Don't need to bring up source validity. The validity of the information is what matters. Wow are people on this forum truly this shallow-minded?

Bias over awarding government bids or even large corporation print contracts for political reasons has been happening for a long time. Many RFP/RFQ's have text alluding to that fact that favor will be shown to print shops who are women owned, minority owned, or have a certain percentage of minorities, etc.
I get super annoyed over this. Our shop is woman-owned and I had a vendor who wanted to make a big deal about how we should be willing to pay more money to their company because of they're also women-owned/miniority-owned/family-owned.
I told them... I don't care who owns your company. I don't give out or expect discounts because of the gender makeup of who owns our shop. Can you supply what I need at the price I need it or not. I don't need "favors" because we are women-owned. I want a level playing field. How patronizing do you have to be to think I need you to carve out exceptions for me to succeed.

I want you to stop deciding things based on any criteria that takes into account the immutable characteristics of the "person" doing the job and not the "skillset" or "ability" of the person doing the job. Honestly, do we all need to dye our skin green and then put "green" in our profiles to get past this non-sense.

if PayPal doesn't agree with your stance, they have now declared they can penalize you up to $2,500 and just debit it from your account.
Their end user agreement covers a significant amount more than just misinformation and misinformation is not a view or stance, so this headline is a bit of a stretch. $2,500 out of your account? That’s like my service contract that says they can charge me for more than normal toner usage. Of course they’re both outrageous but somehow they can get away with it and we all have to agree. There will always be something in a user agreement or contract that we may not be comfortable with. Unless you’re some guy that takes rides into space then you can’t fight it. You hope that it’s meant for those outliners that are out there that push the envelope and take advantage of everything and anything they can for financial gain.

Let me help PayPal out here with their wording, replace misinformation and the rest of the reasons to deny service to just two words . . . “religious beliefs”. The Supreme Court gives corporations endless opportunities to deny individuals from service under a religious beliefs umbrella.

Imagine if your innocent child was gunned down while at school how it must feel when someone is telling you and the rest of the world that it never happened. Freedoms and freedom of speech both require moral responsibility.

Imagine if your innocent child was gunned down while at school how it must feel when someone is telling you and the rest of the world that it never happened. Freedoms and freedom of speech both require moral responsibility.
There is a difference between being able to sue someone in court and having the courts battle it out and a corporation being able to decide willy-nilly to take your money. Paypal is a financial institution. The banking industry relies on people being able to trust that their money is safe (that's why the federal government had to insure funds after the great depression because people stopped trusting banks).

Imagine the opposite happening - that a bank decides to take your money because your child died from XYZ (whatever political stance is currently unpopular) and then says you aren't allowed to say that your child died that way.
We sue in courts for redress of wrongs and then the courts award compensation. Banks and financial institutions shouldn't be allowed to take your money first and then you have to sue to get it back. Unless you want to destabilize the banking industry and cause people to stop trusting it entirely. It's also the basis of our legal institutions - innocent until proven guilty. You shouldn't have to prove that you had the right to say XYZ, someone else should have to prove that you didn't have that right.

Once you click on the 'trolling' site - then you get the other 'sources'.
The Daily Wire could be considered credible but I gave up on them a long time ago because of the clickbait article titles which can have little to do with the facts quoted in the article - sometimes hearsay at best.
Go ahead - be outraged that I have little patience for poorly/wrongly sourced information.
My 'shallow mindedness' is well earned thank you
Don't EVER ask what information about you is for sale and how little recourse you have for the collection or the sale.
And the rest of my comment stands - I agreed that PayPal is predatory and has been for at least a decade.
How does an extension of that practice, for whatever reason, rate our continued attention?

I agreed that PayPal is predatory and has been for at least a decade.
I agree 100% with this statement and stopped using them ages ago for exactly this reason. Unless you watch every single transaction they will frequently take more money/fees that they're supposed to. If you're a business they're terrible. I suppose they're good for "customers" but not as a financial institution that can be trusted with money.

I also stopped using Yelp for the same reason predatory practices. People say it's essential, but I don't care. I won't do business with either of them. When Yelp people call and identify themselves, I very very politely say we don't do Yelp and hang up on them because otherwise I can't get them off the phone.

I agree 100% with this statement and stopped using them ages ago for exactly this reason. Unless you watch every single transaction they will frequently take more money/fees that they're supposed to. If you're a business they're terrible. I suppose they're good for "customers" but not as a financial institution that can be trusted with money.

I also stopped using Yelp for the same reason predatory practices. People say it's essential, but I don't care. I won't do business with either of them. When Yelp people call and identify themselves, I very very politely say we don't do Yelp and hang up on them because otherwise I can't get them off the phone.
So who do you recommend for processing credit cards?

So who do you recommend for processing credit cards?
I used Stripe until we got big enough to get competitive rates from Square. This is primarily because I needed easy interfacing between our woocommerce storefront and our accounting software (Xero). When we first took over the business the previous owner was using one of those people that constantly comes in and pitches "credit card processing services" but I ran a back search and figured out that by the time I factored in all the "hidden fees" that they say they don't charge that it averaged out to slightly more than the standard fees that Stripe charges (2.9% plus $0.30) and is way less confusing. I decided I trusted the random sales guys less than I trust Stripe who at least is upfront about their pricing model/scheme.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back