PC or Mac - which one?

Mac. In the long run they are cheaper..... I have a 7 year old Powerbook that I use everyday at home, works like a dream. I have not done one single repair or replacement to this laptop. I also have a couple of old G4 desktops running strong at the house.

I have an unlce who switched to a Mac about 3 years ago and he recently told me; based on history he would have been purchasing a new PC by now - if he was still using a PC. Since his Mac still works great, with no repairs or replacements - he bought his daughter one for school. She loves it.

My sister is a recent convert too, she loves her mac and claims she'll never buy another PC.

Slowly, the market grows......

Why use MAC
By enlarge Mac's are able to work with far less I.T. support, once they are set up properly and barring hardware failure they just go, Unix doesn't seem to attract any script kiddies, at this point in time there are no Mac Viruses.

most agency's and customers invariable work on a Mac platform as this is still the industry standard, as you are probably aware this means that you will not have any font compatibility issues that you will have if the client uses PS or composite fonts where the PC will only see the resource file and therefore on the Mac platform you will be able to work from packaged documents

The Pc, using XP/vista/7, is limited to use only 4 gig Ram for any application, the Mac uses whatever Ram you assign to a software package, the theoretical limit for the PC is 128 gig of Ram but this would require both the 64-bit version of Windows as well as a 1KW power supply with extra memory risers

Mac has on board Fiery port for target boot, this allows the user to retrieve data when the OS fails to start.

Mac everything is true 64 bit (10.5 up) Windows will run 64 bit but all the software and OS needs to 64 bit specific, the Mac can run 64 bit on a 32 bit system, if you have 32 bit software you are able to run on a 64 bit Mac, by default 10.6.4 will boot in 32 bit

All drivers are included in the OS, no need to hunt for printer or port drivers

run windows programs through vm ware.

Open GL acceleration for photoshop example when the video card crunches the data to do a screen redraw

Why use PC
Far less expensive, because in the PC market there are far less expensive options available

Much easier to replace components

Far easier to automate workflow e.g. robocopy etc

Assign multiple domains and nested domains, Mac server runs only 1 domain

Its all about using the right tool for the job, any scripting etc i use a PC, any graphics i use my Mac
however i would not upgrade from XP to 7, i would probably use Suise or another distribution of Linux

Last edited:
HP or Toshiba hardware will work just fine. The problem is with the software your computer will be running. I simply get more work done in a shorter amoutn of time with Mac OS than with Windows 7. My company can't afford a full time Windows IP person and doesn't need one with Mac OS.

Software that asks you to shut down by pressing "Start" screams "My workflow is going to frustrate you!"

Mac's must be first preference.
@Lorenburton you are replying to a topic where the last post was almost eleven years ago.
As you're reigniting the topic after so long, perhaps cite your thoughts/arguments on the PC vs Mac discussion from a 2021 perspective and your own experiences? Why in 2021 *must* Macs be the first preference?

@Lorenburton you are replying to a topic where the last post was almost eleven years ago.
As you're reigniting the topic after so long, perhaps cite your thoughts/arguments on the PC vs Mac discussion from a 2021 perspective and your own experiences? Why in 2021 *must* Macs be the first preference?
The technical term is "necroposting".

Macs have shown time and time again to be much less vulnerable to viruses and hacking than pcs. The gap is closing, however, as many attacks are based online and hackers are more sophisticated in their techniques. You'll still need to be cautious online, but now MAC is safest platform.

My problem with the Mac was twofold in the last ten years. First, the lack of a professional grade (easily expandable) machine, like the old MacPro line was. The second is the forced movement towards a unified user experience, favouring the look and feel of the handheld devices.

My first problem is mostly gone as Apple released a new line of computers using the groundbreaking M1 chip. A basic MacMini with an M1 is literally crushing most personal computers out there. You would't need to expand such a beast as it can perform anything prepress can come up with.

On the other hand, I don't really like the Mac desktop to be so similar to an iPhone screen, as the two use cases are so far away. I loved the professional look of the "old" days, IMHO the best ever (new) MacOS was Mountain Lion (10.8) in this regard. Sorry to say, the forced development of software, the dropping of the 32 bit apps caused major headaches at my company, rendering useless most of the calibrated displays (as their software is 32 bit and the vendor went bankrupt). The stripping down of the Server app (not the hardware) is another blow below the belt for loyal Apple users. Basically Apple abandoned the professional user base, as countless articles discussed it.

We bought a new 2019 21.5" iMac recently to use as a server for FileMaker Pro. We needed to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB. To install RAM in a the 2019 21.5" iMac you have to remove the front glass, pull the display, remove the speaker, power supply, hard drive, video card module, and the logic board. Swap the RAM and then reverse the procedure to finish it up. This very well could end being the end of the road for new Macs in our prepress department.

As far as the new Mac minis with the M1 chip I don't think the hard drive or RAM is user upgradeable.

Apple removing the ability for users to do upgrades is not a good sign.

We bought a new 2019 21.5" iMac recently to use as a server for FileMaker Pro. We needed to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB. To install RAM in a the 2019 21.5" iMac you have to remove the front glass, pull the display, remove the speaker, power supply, hard drive, video card module, and the logic board. Swap the RAM and then reverse the procedure to finish it up. This very well could end being the end of the road for new Macs in our prepress department.

As far as the new Mac minis with the M1 chip I don't think the hard drive or RAM is user upgradeable.

Apple removing the ability for users to do upgrades is not a good sign.
I have a feeling that memory quantity won't matter too much in the future due to the integration of the memory, GPU and CPU into a single chip. This results in greater efficiencies than we can probably envision for our current workflows. We may be able to get away with half or even less memory than currently. Excited to see what Apple comes up with in the next year. CES is also next week, maybe Nvidia or another company will announce ARM product development.

I do agree that macOS Big Sur is significantly less productive than Windows 10 and much less appealing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back