PC partition on a Mac

MJNC

Hi PrintPlanet folk;
I work on a late 2015 iMac. My boss wants to load a PC networking application on it.
He knows about Mac Terminal but wants ViaDuct too.

I understand you can use BootCamp to create a PC partition and load Windows. You can also use other software and run the partition virtually if you buy the software... Any opinions as to which way is better?

As it requires a reboot to go from one OS to the other, can you even run networking software on the pc side while working on the mac side all day? (Silly, I know, but I have to ask.)

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to elaborate, as I’m sure I have a ton of questions that I don’t even know I have yet.

Thanks!
_mjnc

Peace to all of the PrintPlanet! :cool:

If you want to run Windows via bootcamp you will need two separate partitions and you have to reboot to run cahnge from one OS to the other. They can't both be running at the same time.

You can use Virtualization software on the Mac like Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox and run them both at the same time. You'll need to beef up on RAM to do this. VirtualBox is OpenSource so it won't cost you anything but it is not as good as the other two. And yes you can network both the Mac and PC.

If it is for something that does not need all your computers horse power I would say go with a virtual machine. You can run both at the same time, no need to partition off a portion of your hard drive and you can drag and drop between the two. They run quick enough as well and get backed up along with your Macs Time Machine or whatever you use to back up the system.

I would only do Bootcamp myself if I had to run a program like Corel or any other graphic program where I wanted to utilize all of my computers power. You can install Windows via Bootcamp and also access it via Parallels as well if you want both options.

Hi Folks;
We ended up using Parallels and it seems to be well working so far...
Hope it continues that way!

Thanks for all of the input. Happy Fourth of July!!!
_mjnc

Hi again, Folks!
Parallels is doing the job just fine, but I have been “encouraged” to continue seeking other options.
Anyone out there running CrossOver?
What about Virtual Box?
If you hate it, what do you hate? If you love it, what do you love?
Thanks!!
_mjnc :cool:

Why are you encouraged to find other options? What is not working well for you with Parallels?

Have you tried running Parallels in "coherence" mode? Basically this merges your Windows OS into MacOS visually. They are still separate but you would not know it. You could save your Windows apps in the dock just like any Mac app and run them side by side with MacOS apps.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-05%20at%203.14.01%20PM_zpsucfacp8s.png

Hi Wonderings;
No I have not tried “Coherence Mode”. The thing is...
Frankly, Parallels costs money. Virtual Box is free, but I read it’s not as great and it does so much more that what he needs, which could be dangerous.
While reading about those I ran across CrossOver, and the thing I like about it is that it’s not a virtual machine but says it runs Windows apps right on your Mac desktop (without buying a copy of Windows!).
So was “wondering” if any one has experience with either of those that I can pass along before I do another trial.
Frankly I agree, Parallels seems to do what he needs just fine.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't agree that Virtual Box is not great. I use it all day long on all 5 of my workstations with no problems at all.
Never heard of CrossOver, so have never tried it, but I am dubious that it can run all windows programs with out having the windows os.

CrossOver sounds like WINE. Which will run some windows apps but not everything. My guess is that CrossOver would probably be the same.

I was the one that said VirtualBox isn't as good as the others. Why? Because it isn't. I have used VirtualBox, Parallels and VMWare. Parallels and VMWare are easier to setup and faster and handle memory better and the networking is superior. But I still use VirtualBox because it is free. I don't have that big of a need for it to pay for the other two these days. VirtualBox is fine if you need a free solution. If I needed to have it available all day though I would spend the money on one of the other two.

maybe it´s just me but I find it more convenient to get a PC and have a network than play around with PC partitions on a mac.

maybe it´s just me but I find it more convenient to get a PC and have a network than play around with PC partitions on a mac.

You don't have to with VirtualBox, Parallels, or VMWare. Only with Bootcamp.

Hi!
From what I understand, Parallels & Virtual Box do require a partition of their own on your Mac.
With BootCamp, every time you want to switch from one OS to the other, you have to reboot your machine. With Parallels & Virtual Box, you don’t have to reboot.
And yes, CrossOver is Wine technology.
I’m guessing that VMWare is the next one he will have me try.
Thanks guys!

You do not have to partition the Mac hard drive for Parallels or VirtualBox. You do make a Windows partition to install Windows to but it is a virtual partition which means it makes a file on the Mac and you size that file to what ever partition size you want for windows but the windows "hard drive" is just a file on the Mac. Here is a screen shot of the virtual hard drives I have on my Mac. The assorted .vdi files are the virtual hard drives for my different OS installs.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 7.06.22 PM.png

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back