PDF Password Removal

prepressdork

Please do not chastise me for asking this:

Can someone recommend a (free?) software (preferably for Mac) that can remove the password (or if you know of another trick) from a PDF?

A large financial customer has provided some password-protected PDF files for printing. Printing and editing is not allowed and of course, they've asked me to make changes. I've asked them for the password but nobody seems to know it.

I normally wouldn't ask this but I'm not sure what else to try (and getting an unprotected replacement file isn't going to happen).

Thanks,
pd

Make sure, in writing, that you are not liable for any errors introduced by you by modifying a locked file

Gordo

I think I used the same site Jackie posted once and it worked. Hopefully there isn't a file size limit below the size of your PDF.

I use Agfa's Apogee Prepress RIP, and many (but not all) secured PDFs can be stripped of their restrictions by creating a job that's just hot folder input, then run list, then PDF export. If you have another RIP system perhaps there is an analogous means of doing the same thing.

Doesn't Apogee's PDF Export function create a rasterized PDF, though?

Why am I surprised that they would provide a secured PDF? Obviously printing wasn't the primary function for which this PDF was built.

It's of no use to you, but all the PDF/X specs forbid security in the PDF. Perhaps they could be persuaded to go that route in the future.

Normally design centers saving PDF with low resolution and adding password to not use it for production. Make sure it may not impact on your production quality. And most important is as Mr. Gardo said.

Why am I surprised that they would provide a secured PDF? Obviously printing wasn't the primary function for which this PDF was built.

This is quite common practice with legal and banking documents intended for printing (as in the OP's case). They do not want anyone to have the ability to alter their documents except the original authors.

Gordo

Doesn't Apogee's PDF Export function create a rasterized PDF, though?

There is a PDF proof task processor, which creates a rasterized PDF, but there is also one that gives you an abstract PDF. I believe it's just called "Export." I use it all the time to give a final PDF to customers that request one - then I don't have to look at the run list and spend the time to build a PDF that has correction pages replaced. It is also useful for sending dielines to vendors that want a full press sheet, multiple-up die. If you don't remove the impose process, you'll get a PDF of the press sheets. Then you can open it with Illustrator, magic wand the die line spot colors, cut, delete all, paste in front, and you have the full press sheet with just the multiple-up dieline as vector paths.

Please do not chastise me for asking this:

Can someone recommend a (free?) software (preferably for Mac) that can remove the password (or if you know of another trick) from a PDF?

A large financial customer has provided some password-protected PDF files for printing. Printing and editing is not allowed and of course, they've asked me to make changes. I've asked them for the password but nobody seems to know it.

I normally wouldn't ask this but I'm not sure what else to try (and getting an unprotected replacement file isn't going to happen).

Thanks,
pd

Open it in Preview... and try a « save as »

some PDFs can be opened in Colour Sync and that removes the security, worth a try!

A

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back