Perfed Cover Stock Stuck Together

Has anyone run into an issue where perforated cover stock (14pt or 16pt) sticks together?

We're a lettershop, not a printshop. When we received a shipment of postcards from a printer, the perfed area binds the cards to one another, making them literally stick to one another.

I'm just wondering if this is a common occurrence and if so, what's an easy way to separate them.

Would a jogger help?

Peeling these things apart is killing production.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

If you have a cutter, clamp down on the perf to flatten it. Then jog them. It sounds like they were perfed with a rotary perf that punched threw the sheet.

Flattening the perforations to remove/minimise this problem is part of the process for which your supplier should be taking responsibility, irrespective of how the perforations were produced.

I agree with effeegee that the shop doing the perforating, by whatever means, should not have sent them on like that. If they are using a rotary method, it should be a simple matter for them, in the future, to have a hard tire rolling over the perf line against a hard exit shaft of some sort.

If time permits, send them back to them so that they can re-feed them though their equipment (and experience the problem!) to flatten the perf barb. If time does not permit that, then invoice them for the extra time spent dealing with this on your end.

Let us know how it turns out.

Al

Last edited:
I am trying to vision this problem but is the solution fanning them out in such a way that is similar to fanning a stack of paper for putting on a continuous folder? And fan them in both directions. What I fear is you will get another shipment and have the same problem.

I agree with the fact that the supplier SHOULD NOT have supplied them with crap, but the poster needed an quick fix to the problem, which I gave. I personally would happily fix the problem and send the supplier an invoice for their stupidity.

I am trying to vision this problem but is the solution fanning them out in such a way that is similar to fanning a stack of paper for putting on a continuous folder? And fan them in both directions. What I fear is you will get another shipment and have the same problem.

They were double-feeding in our addressing machine so at high speeds, if it doesn't jam, it'll shoot out with the address/barcode imprinted correctly but it has a blank card fixed underneath it. Think static cling, but instead the perfs are hooked together.

Thanks for the ideas on fixing the mess. I don't have a cutter, but was able to fan them. The only problem is that you have to be firm enough to separate them but careful enough so that the perf isn't weakened so that they fall apart on the USPS sorters.

Would love to invoice the printer, but I don't think that's going to happen.

If the stock is only sticking on some it would suggest doubles going through probably a platen, but it sounds more a rotary perforation type arrangement. Fanning them out by twisting the stock then holding it firm while it falls back to create a fan should seporate it but flattening it under pressure as others have said is also a very good idea.

They were double-feeding in our addressing machine so at high speeds, if it doesn't jam, it'll shoot out with the address/barcode imprinted correctly but it has a blank card fixed underneath it. Think static cling, but instead the perfs are hooked together.

Sounds like they were perfed on old equipment which allowed doubles (or triples) fed sheets throught the perf machine. I have one from 1964... The sheets are essentially stitched together by the perf wheel. Using a micro perf will help, (very small holes).A tire flattening, as has been said above would help only if the feed is correct, one at a time. Likely not. An air jet to seperate sheets would be great help.(in the perf process - but since you don't control that - complain loudly!) Why not bring the process inhouse.. ? [$0.02]

Perforations can be a bugger and it sounds like the situation was definitely creating issues during your throughput. I doubt an invoice would get satisfied but if you are comfortable enough with your supplier give them some feedback. If you don't like the response go elsewhere. You got your job processed so put that one in the record books and move on to the next.

JW

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back