Photoshop CS4 System Requirements

Bill W

Greetings,

I note that Adobe lists the processor requirements for Photoshop CS4 (Mac) to be PowerePC G5 or multicore Intel. Is anyone running CS4 on a "lesser" system, such as a G4?

Thanks.

-Bill-

I have it installed on a backup system Quicksilver Dual G4 running Tiger here at work. It's no speed demon, but it runs...

I have it installed on a backup system Quicksilver Dual G4 running Tiger here at work. It's no speed demon, but it runs...

---

That is something ...
since the minimum requirements are supposed to be G5 or Intel
I tried to install CS4 on my G4 Powerbook
and it did not give me a chance
Is your Photoshop CS4 a Photoshop virgin install or PS upgrade only
and not the suite?

MSD

I have it installed on a PowerPC G5... It bogs down my entire computer when it's open and not even doing anything. Not sure if that is normal, but if it is, I don't know if I'd WANT to run it on anything lesser than a G5...

It bogs down my entire computer when it's open and not even doing anything. Not sure if that is normal, but if it is, I don't know if I'd WANT to run it on anything lesser than a G5...
-----
After this thread began -
I wiped my old Powerbook G4
and reloaded a new copy of Leopard.
The entire CS4 suite runs fine.
Photoshop is actually pretty snappy (with large RAW files).
Dreamweaver is great.
InDy and Illy are a bit poky getting going
but ... once running zip right along.
Acrobat 9 is fine - with PitStop

MSD

I have it installed on a PowerPC G5... It bogs down my entire computer when it's open and not even doing anything. Not sure if that is normal, but if it is, I don't know if I'd WANT to run it on anything lesser than a G5...

Running it on a G5 2Ghz Dual. Runs better (quicker, launches faster) than CS3. Weird!!

Ditto. We have 2 x G4 1.25mhz DP mirror door, 2gb ram (that's as much as they'll take), 2 drives. It ain't G5 quick but it ain't a slouch

Also we have a HP 2.80ghz P4 with 1.5gb ram as our Epson 7800 print server also with CS4 and it runs ok on that - not as quick as the Mac tho' - go figure.

Let me rephrase... it runs great. It is faster than CS3, hands down.
But when I'm not using it, and it is sitting idle, it is hogging a lot of my CPU processing.... does that make sense? Not RAM, but CPU.
Jon

Let me rephrase... it runs great. It is faster than CS3, hands down.
But when I'm not using it, and it is sitting idle, it is hogging a lot of my CPU processing.... does that make sense? Not RAM, but CPU.
Jon

Yeah, I understand. But not happening to me. Takes up very little CPU process space. Illustrator and Pagemaker 13 hardly register. Dreamweaver takes up the most, but not that much. The one that I thought would be the CPU hog, Photoshop, is the one taking the least!

What I have been getting, if I'm using Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time on biggish projects, is they get RAM happy!! Time to buy some more, I think. Figures!!

Yeah, I don't see much CPU process space taken by Illy or Indd.... but Photoshop, wow... I was shocked. Got me...
Just saw this in the preferences - they have a slider now to allocate more or less RAM to Photoshop - not sure if this will help you or not. Not sure if this is a new feature or not, either.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Just saw this in the preferences - they have a slider now to allocate more or less RAM to Photoshop - not sure if this will help you or not. Not sure if this is a new feature or not, either.

It's been around since version 7 (when it was ported to OSX). Don't think that will help. I have mine set to the max recommended. I have my cache turned up to 8, though. But these things are for when you're actually working in Photoshop - shouldn't make a damn bit of difference if it's idling!?!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back