Physical Storage of Digital Print Hard Copies (Proof Management)

Anton_

Hi All,

I am searching for some suggestions for storing proofs. We print several custom jobs everyday and we proof every job so we have a hard copy of what is printed. We organize our proofs by year, every year we move the proofs to a storage area. During the year the proof area builds up and becomes a struggle manage. We organize the proofs by customer and we keep the first proof and roll it up and put in a box on shelf labeled for that customer. The simple answer would be get more shelves and boxes but I want to know if someone else out there has the same problem and has a better solution. See the picture for reference.

What is the best way to store all of the proofs. Inevitably a customer asks us to reprint a decal from the current or previous year so in order to keep the color accurate we reference the proof. Otherwise I would just throw away old proofs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Anton

Jun292011ProofRack

Last edited:
Maybe try storing them in flat files so they won't take up as much room as if they are rolled up? Hardcopy storage is always an issue if you have a large client base.

We make large envelopes out of two pieces of padding chipboard. We make them all the same size regardless of content. In side of each one is any or all things related to the job. Proofs, press pulls, plates, digital samples etc. We number each one according to job #. These stand on a shelf for easy access.

They key is uniform sized envelopes. Everything is much more organized that way.

I have to agree with the uniform and flat storage. I do the same with my poster jobs (have over 300) and once I stopped rolling-and-tubing them, filing and storage got a lot easier (and smaller!).

I use Uline stay-flats for my posters but if your proofs are larger you may have to make your own from cardboard as mentioned above.

Thanks for all of your replies, I like the idea of same size storage sleves. I am considering going completely digital with the proofs. Documenting the profile and cmyk and/or spot colors, ect. This is a new thread topic and I am sure there is plenty of discussion about this topic.

Muddy can you post pictures of your storage system?

Anton

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back