Pick & Pack Costs

leftwave

I hope this is the right place to ask this question...

I'm looking to get a branded website setup with a web to print company. My customers are wanting to order small quantities of brochures (100-250) at a time and so I'm looking to get a larger quantity (10k-20k) printed at once. These can then be stored in their warehouse and shipped for each order via "pick and pack".

They're wanting to charge me $5 per order, but this seems really high to me. Can you please share the going rates for this type of service and let me know if this is competitive.

Thanks again!

Typically, there is are charges for: number of line items (a pick), quantity per line item (usually a penny or two), base order charge (setup, some do some don't), packaging, shipping, and storage. All of that is exclusive from print. Does the 5$ per order encompass all of that? If so, that seems like a really good deal. If not, you should probably better understand what that does/doesn't cover and figure out which costs you might not be considering or the company is covering for you.

Thanks for that gabrielp!

Most orders would be for just 1 item which would be a set of 100 brochures that would need to be picked from a set of say 10k brochures. Of course, I would then pay for shipping charges on top of this $5 fee.

I was thinking there was some sort of industry standard for the types of fees for this service. No?

I don't think there is. But I can tell you that there would be a monthly charge for storing the 10k brochures. Then, we'd recoupe the packaging and order costs within our line item and quantity charges. As your inventory depleted over time, your storage charges would decrease.

I think your best course of action would be to contact a few fulfillment providers for quotes. Good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back